The more you drink, the higher the chance to encounter serious health damage.
When a person drinks, the alcohol quickly enters the bloodstream through the mouth, esophagus, stomach, and most of all – through the small intestine, and then reaches all organs. So the affects alcohol affects the entire body and increases the risk of many diseases.
- Alcohol is directly or indirectly associated with more than 60 different disease States or impairments.
- Studies show that alcohol is a risk factor for various cardiovascular diseases, malignant tumors (cancer), mental disorders, diseases of the digestive and other organs.
- In Estonia are associated with alcohol consumption illnesses die each year 600-800 people, 2/3 of them men. Almost a third of deaths caused by alcoholic liver disease, which is followed by frequency of alcohol poisoning and alcohol-induced psychiatric disorders and behavior.
- From the disease, partly associated with the consumption of alcohol die every 9-10 thousand people, more than half of them women.
Effects of alcohol on health
- Most people with health problems due to the consumption of alcohol are not alcoholics, but rather those who regularly abuse alcohol for years.
- effects of alcohol on health is directly related to the amount of alcohol consumed during the life of alcohol.
- effects on the body consists of contained in the beverage alcohol and from decay products of alcohol that occur in the body. Therefore, there is no difference between low-alcohol and strong drink.
- If the alcohol limit or stop the alcohol consumption, the risk of disease begins to decline. This is true even in respect of alcoholic liver disease and depression.
Rate of alcohol without risk to the health
Studies have proven that regular risk threshold is exceeded increases dramatically the risk of diseases and health disorders.
This means that women should not drink more than 20 grams and men more than 40 g pure alcohol per day, and should be at least three completely non-alcoholic days a week.
- The older a person is, the higher the risks from excessive alcohol consumption. Aging decreases the body’s ability to degrade alcohol. Diseases that occur with age, increasing the harmful effects of alcohol, and increases the risk of damage.
- In people who consume a lot of alcohol, over time, increased tolerance to alcohol, that is, the ability “to withstand”, and the intoxication they need more alcohol. Hence the false perception that alcohol is more harmful to these people.
- For disposal of large quantities of alcohol the liver has to work harder. This means that the liver cells is more harmful actions.
- In humans, the liver which is already damaged by alcohol, may decrease tolerance. Damaged liver is no longer able how to process alcohol, so they get drunk faster. Therefore, the body’s tolerance to alcohol does not protect against the harmful effects of alcohol.