Toothache in children there is often not, but if it does, then most likely is a consequence of infectious diseases of teeth or gums of the child.
Sometimes the child who has a sore ear or jaw may feel that he has sore tooth. This is referred pain. Referred pain is a frequent phenomenon in the area of the mouth and face. Usually when reflected toothache is much more difficult to specify its exact place than the actual toothache.
Causes of toothache in children:
Although in children toothache – a rarity, but they, unfortunately, are prone to the initial development of caries, which creates a lot of problems throughout later life.
1. Common cause of toothache is inflammation of the soft inner tissue of the tooth (pulp), rich in blood vessels and nerve endings. Pulpitis caused by microbes that penetrate the pulp through a cavity, formed during the destruction of the hard mineral layers of the tooth: the enamel and the underlying dentine.
Dental pulpitis unpleasant what causes severe toothache. It is dental pain due to pulpitis is the cause of early treatment in dentistry, because such pain to endure very hard.
The symptoms of pulpitis in children is, at best, gradually increasing pulsating pain in the tooth, especially during the holidays. Disease-causing microbes, food particles penetrate to the nerve of the tooth becomes inflamed.
2. The process of destruction of the hard tissues of the tooth is called tooth decay. When caries the child may also feel pain in the teeth, but only by direct action of the stimulus, such as cold or hot water. If the pulpitis is inflamed, the pain in the tooth occurs paroxysmal, not only during the duration of the stimuli (food), but at any time, including at night. Sometimes the pain is a constant aching in nature.
Cause of tooth decay is not only the presence of microbes in the oral cavity, but a number of other factors. For example, great importance has the food. Insufficient intake of proteins, vitamins, mineral salts, fluorine and various trace elements contributes to the development of caries. At the same time, sugar and other bystrorazvivajushchihsja microbes of carbohydrates also helps the bacteria to destroy teeth. Heredity plays a big role, status of dentition-during the initiation, development and teething. It has long been observed that the first of the permanent teeth suffer 6th teeth because they erupt before all (the enamel does not have time to get enough calcium and fluoride from the saliva) and difficult to clean.
3. Pain in the mouth in children under one year is often caused by the development of thrush – a yeast infection. A child might feel great and not to show any morbid symptoms, unless it tries to eat, but after a few sucking movements he immediately spits out the pacifier or mother’s nipple. Inside his mouth is red with white spots on the tongue and inside the cheeks. The spots look like drops of milk remaining in the child’s mouth after feeding. To distinguish them, gently touch the white spots with your finger or a spoon handle. Drops of milk fall behind, and patches of thrush will remain in place. If the child has thrush in the mouth, it may as well be manifested in the anal area and on the genitals, causing a “diaper” rash. If you are breastfeeding, your nipples can also be at risk.
4. Pain in the mouth in older children is usually caused by herpes stomatitis (infection caused by the herpes virus).
When herpes infection besides pain in the mouth, the child may feel unmotivated fatigue, are temperature rises. Your mouth may acquire such tenderness that even a child refuses to drink from and spits constantly, being unable to swallow even his own saliva.
Lips, tongue, gums and the entire internal surface of the oral cavity in such a child covered with tiny blisters and ulcers. Lymph nodes (“glands”) on the neck usually significantly increased.
Although this condition is extremely painful and effective treatment for it does not exist, it passes by itself. Peak pain lasts for several days and the sores forming on the site of the bubbles and covering the mucous membrane of the mouth, held for 10 days.
5. Single ulcer in the mouth, sometimes 2-3 ulcers – the most common cause of pain in the mouth in older children. Unlike the herpetic stomatitis, in this case the child only 1-2 of the ulcer and the General condition is normal, the cervical lymph nodes may be slightly enlarged. Ulcer – a defect of the mucous membrane in the form of white or yellowish circle around the gray center. This place becomes very painful.
Sometimes the reason for this is unclear, although often the sores appear due to injury of the oral mucosa: a sharp bone in food, biting cheek, etc. – all of which can injure the mucosa and cause ulceration.
This kind of mouth sores are usually for five days.
6. Mouth ulcers from time to time happen at all; children exposed to stress or disease, their is more than usual. The probability of their occurrence is dramatically reduced if you regularly brush your teeth and generally maintain a healthy condition.
Very rarely multiple chronic ulcers can be a sign of disease about which you should consult a doctor.
7. Sometimes pain in the mouth is a side effect of some medications, especially antibiotics. If your child has inflamed the mouth during ingestion of a particular medicine, pay attention to this doctor.
Treatment of dental pain in children
Remember that all the following tools are temporary, and help get rid of the pain for a certain period of time. Therefore, at the first opportunity, you need to go to the dentist, otherwise, at the most inopportune moment, the pain will remind you of yourself.
In such cases, is very good “Ibufen” this drug also copes with high temperatures, therefore, it is useful to have in the children’s first aid kit. If “Ibufen” at hand was not, you can give paracetamol according to age, the dosage, but as practice shows, when a toothache, it is less effective.
Rinse baking soda
If your child has a toothache, is very good warm rinse. To do this, dissolve a teaspoon of baking soda in a Cup of warm, boiled water and allow the child to rinse mouth. This option helps to soothe a raging toothache, the soda is always at hand and you don’t have to run to the drugstore. Rinsing should be repeated several times, at intervals of about 15 minutes, preferably longer to hold the warm solution from the patient’s tooth.
As for rinsing, you can use the infusion of sage, mint, or St. John’s wort. For the preparation of the broth, 1 tablespoon of herbs, pour a glass of water and keep on low heat for 5-7 minutes without boiling. After that, the broth should be removed from the fire, and give him about an hour to infuse. Strained through a strainer or cheesecloth infusion, can be used for rinsing the oral cavity of the child. The rinse should be warm, and must be repeated several times, with an interval of 10-15 minutes and preferably longer delay warm solution from the patient’s tooth.
Home remedies toothache
You can give the child a piece of bacon, placing it between the cheek and gum, on the part of the patient’s teeth.
You can still grind a clove of garlic and wrapping it in a piece of gauze or bandage to bind the wrist with the opposite sides of the patient’s teeth, on the place where the palpable pulse.
Unfortunately, about the effectiveness of folk remedies, I can only judge by hearsay from friends and acquaintances. To resort to their use when the child has a toothache, I didn’t have.
Never, and nothing, don’t put yourself in “the hole”, it will bring nothing but harm. In addition, for example, aspirin can cause burns to the mucous membrane, and the piece of propolis can cause an allergic reaction.
Prevention of a toothache in a child
It is clear that completely to deprive the child of sweets, you can’t, but in order for teeth to be healthy, consumption of sweets should be kept to a minimum. Also, you should avoid consuming too hot or too cold foods as they may cause crazing in the enamel of the tooth, and in consequence develop into cavities.
When the first tooth, it is important to teach a child to toothbrush. Fortunately now a lot of different children’s models, through which, in the form of a game, it’s easy to instill a love child to this important daily process.
And don’t forget to visit the dentist regularly, even if you do not care. Such visits will help to identify the disease early, and to solve emerging problems at an early stage, much easier.
By following these simple rules, you will never hear that the child has a toothache, and deliver your baby, and yourself from unwanted emotions.