The last paragraph should stay. There is such a thing as selective appetite. That is, he can gladly have one, and completely dismissing the other. First of all, of course, exclude the possibility that the proposed dish is really tasteless or unpleasant to eat, so always try the food yourself, before offering it to the children.
However, it often happens that the child is in principle not eat a certain type of products. This may have several explanations. Perhaps in the child’s body lacks certain enzymes necessary for the digestion and absorption of certain substances. In this case, the physician, after determining the cause, would assign the child appropriate products. Maybe the child has intolerance to any product, that is allergic to it — and the body feels it. In the end, everyone is entitled to preferences in food. But we are talking about nutritious healthy food, that is not such a thing to a child with appetite ate biscuits or sweets, but completely rejected the “normal” food. If this happens, the fault here is entirely borne by the parents and they should fix your “herd”.
In General, the appetite may not be always the same. In the summer, for example, children grow faster than in winter, and therefore may want to eat more. On the other hand, in periods of extreme heat eliminates the requirement for the body additional energy for its heating — and appetite the natural way reduced. During periods of active growth and puberty, again, calorie needs increase. If the child has eaten too much in the next several days he may not be appetite due to lack of the required enzymes.
In addition, virtually all acute diseases and inflammatory processes in the body can be accompanied by loss of appetite. If a child is sick or just sick and refuses to eat — do not feed or offer him a lighter and less caloric food. But to drink to be sure. Incidentally, some children do not eat for exactly this reason: they don’t drink enough water. Another reason could be the deficiency of certain nutrients in the body (except vitamin D), in particular iron or zinc.
Lack of appetite can also be affected in a bad mood, emotional distress, stress, unfamiliar environment, etc. — always consider this.
On appetite is influenced by many factors:
- the rate of metabolic reactions in the body;
- the absorption of nutrients
- content in the blood of the intermediate products of metabolism;
- the intensity of the secretion of growth hormone and other hormones;
- endocrine gland activity;
- the number of fat cells in the body;
- water balance;
- features the work of the digestive system;
- the amount of energy consumed, that is the way of life;
- weather conditions;
- characteristics of food (taste, texture, appearance).
With this, You could already understand that poor appetite the child often has physiological causes that normally does not harm him and of a temporary nature. So, it is quite natural that the child is not hungry, if:
- it moves a little, spend enough energy;
- he has no need in warming the body, that is, the child is dressed warmly or in a warm room;
- child’s body is in a stage of reduced growth activity, i.e. the production of hormones in this period slowed down;
- the absorption from entering the body of nutrients sufficiently high (i.e., minimal portions of food absorbed by the body very well);
- food unpalatable (sour, salty, bitter) or unusual (too dense, very hot or cold).
Poor appetite in a child under 1 year
By and large, what we have said and what else will we say for children of all ages: whether the child is 2, 3, 4, 5 years younger or older. And yet, if not eating the newborn child, the mother must additionally know one more thing.
The reason for the denial of the newborn food can be difficulties in feeding: poor latching baby, “tight” nipple (when the baby is physically difficult to suck the milk), very small or large hole in the nipple, stuffy nose baby and the like.
Even the youngest children in the mouth may develop thrush or stomatitis that causes severe discomfort and pain. Discomfort in the gums, and food refusal can be caused by the process of teething in a child: this period might survive.
In may, mom’s milk just has an unpleasant or unusual for baby’s taste (for example, if the mother has abused products with a very pronounced taste or smell like garlic). It often happens that after the baby will be offered a sweet drink, he refuses breastfeeding. This can also happen if a child tried to eat from a bottle with a large enough hole, when he didn’t have to put effort into “getting” food.
Episodic failure from the breast or formula in infants can be associated with them discomfort test: a very tight swaddling, FuG or hot, dirty diaper, pain in the abdomen, colic and more. And don’t minimize the importance of personal hygiene: mother offering the baby the breast, should not (excuse the word) to smell: sweat, the sharp perfume and other odors emanating from the body and the mother’s breast, can irritate the baby.
What to do if a child does not eat
If the child is not hungry, the very first thing parents must do is ensure that he does not want to. Because it is perfectly possible that the child simply cannot eat. This occurs for the following reasons:
- food “not a”: tasteless, uncomfortable temperature;
- food goes bad (what we were talking about babies: bad nipple, tight chest)
- pain in the oral cavity (ulcers, sores, swollen gums, inflammation in the throat)
- child has trouble breathing (especially refers to breastfeeding babies unable to suckle, if they have a stuffy nose);
- there are problems in the intestines (the tendency to constipation and flatulence during entering the intestine the first portion of the food its walls are drastically reduced, causing pain and discomfort).
One of the reasons why the child wants but can’t have, parents should suspect (and later find and fix), if it is taken with an appetite for food or Breasts, but soon refuses to continue. Most likely, it will be possible to do it yourself. However, in some cases, children anorexia occurs when the child really can not eat. This condition is dangerous and requires medical assistance, but this occurs very rarely.
If a child really doesn’t want to eat, then in such a situation all that matters is how he feels and how he grows/develops. Pale, weak, passive child who prefers to sit still, if not lying, and even stunted or mentally unstable, most likely ill and needs medical examination and medical examination. If the child frolics and plays, runs and laughs, feels good and does not Express any concern or discomfort, but doesn’t want to eat, it skilled assistance is often needed by his mother.
In nature, in normal conditions, the refusal of baby food is used to his mother’s alarm and anxiety. Because of the very nature it has the instinct of feeding their offspring. And for this reason the absolute majority of all mothers and grandmothers trying to feed the baby at any cost, come what may. In the course are persuasion, entertainment, threats, bargains, and even the use of physical force. Mother’s instinctive need to “feed” the baby is so strong that looking for its implementation in any way, even if they are harmful and dangerous. And they are harmful.
The doctors assure all parents that almost always, when a child has a poor appetite, it is connected with the peculiarities of its metabolism and functioning of the organism as a whole. For example, while some children absorbed only 10% eaten (and they have to eat more), the other is almost 100% (and the body’s need for food in this case will be much smaller).
A child’s body knows and feels how much food he needs right now, at this period of its development. Rules than have to eat a baby, does not exist and can not be. And therefore everything that the mother eats little kid need to do to understand and accept it, calm down and leave the alone his own offspring. Do not forget that the requirements for the amount of food the child and adult is different. Not 3-year-old son to eat as much as his father.
However, if the healthy child refuses to eat, especially healthy foods in favor of tasty hazards, parents should pay attention to what, how and when they feed their children.
How to improve appetite of the child
Often we are able to improve the child’s appetite at least a little, and usually even that is enough to ensure that the child receives the necessary energy (i.e. a certain calorie).
Of course, food habits and proper lifestyle of a child form his parents. That is, from early childhood we should teach kids to proper healthy eating by example. Its General principles are known to all: the basis of the diet should be complex carbohydrates and fiber (cereals from whole grains, vegetables, fruits), in sufficient quantity in the daily menu should be present meat, fish, dairy products. You cannot exclude from the diet of vegetable fats. And be sure to keep drinking regime.
But if the child refuses to eat or has a poor appetite, parents should consider the following tips:
- Develop mode meals. For children with no appetite this is particularly important, because when food enters the stomach always at the same time, the body produces reflex: for his next meal starts to stand out gastric juice, causing the feeling of hunger.
- Give your child vitamin and mineral supplements. First, it will be in any case useful because we all experience a nutrient deficiency, and children even more so. Secondly, perhaps it is a deficiency of one or another element and is the cause of poor appetite in the child.
- If the child is not hungry, in any case do not make him and not on him: therefore you can simply develop the habit of eating it or to teach him to eat for pleasure. It is fundamentally wrong. In addition, the force-feeding is fraught with diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Not insist that the child ate, if he played, got carried away, excited or still sleeping and refuses to eat. Now he’s just not up to it.
- Sit down to lunch together. Some children are good to eat “for the company”, and in solitude do not have a good appetite.
- Try to serve a table and dishes.
- Engage children in cooking and food covering the table, let him participate in the preparations for dinner, to feel their importance, to boast to daddy that he sculpted dumplings or chopped tomatoes. For many kids cooked food is tastier. And, of course, praise and thank his assistant.
- do Not put too big portions: less is more.
- If the child is not hungry — don’t make. Offer him the same food the next meal (that is if you do not want to dine in next time to offer to eat for dinner only). With all sorts of snacks you want to exclude. Keep in mind that the human body without any damage to yourself can go without food for several days (important to drink). So when baby is hungry — will eat, don’t worry.
- In the hottest time of year focus on easily digestible foods, protein products can be reduced to a minimum in favor of fiber, especially fruits.
- make Sure that the child was spending more energy: daily walks, active play, engagement in sports, dressing over light clothing and maintaining a low temperature in the room, bathing in slightly cooler water.
- Eliminate from the diet or reduce the amount of sweets in it.
- Not read them lectures about food. Refused to dinner — well, and no longer remember it, until he asks.
- Never find out the relationship, do not scold or punish the child immediately before the meal: this can cause persistent food refusal in a particular case, and with regular repetition in General.
- Try to keep your child has not had any negative emotions and associations connected with eating. If they are already formed (i.e. over a long period of time by force they have been forced), it will take a long time to get rid of them — certainly not without Your participation.
Doctors in one voice say: a little thin and eating the child is sick much less often than well-fed, ireedui or eating monotonous. Moreover, to feed a child who does not feel the need (i.e. time not eating, so really his body is not necessary), it is meaningless: because of the lack of necessary for digestion enzymes she won’t digest the child’s body, creating additional stress on the organs and causing a number of problems. Moreover, experts say that children have very severe physical and mental suffering when forced to eat them. There is even scientific theory that this may be one reason for a child’s heart and stomach diseases in the future, in particular myocardial infarction and stomach cancer.
Try changing your approach to feeding children, nagulevich appetite correctly — and, most likely, you will see a positive result. All will be calm and happy. And saved in the manufacture of foods time the mother can spend on yourself. Often the lack of child appetite is a psychological problem mom, not a physiological disorder in the body. Do not look for any abnormalities. After all, if you wish, you can find everything.