Alcohol Health adults

The impact of alcohol on health


Impact of alcohol on health

According to statistics of American Institute for alcoholism prevention, 87% of people aged 18 years and older used alcohol in their lifetime. 71% had used alcohol in the past year, 56% in the last month.

How alcohol affects the body

Approximately 20% of alcohol consumed is absorbed by the stomach. The remaining 80% go into the small intestine. How quickly metabolizes alcohol depends on its concentration in the beverage. The higher it is, the faster will be the intoxication. Vodka, for example, metabolizes in the body much faster than beer. A full stomach also slows absorption, and the appearance of the flush effect.

Once the alcohol has entered the stomach and small intestine, it is sent through the bloodstream throughout the body. At this time our body tries to bring it out.

More than 10% of alcohol is excreted by the kidneys through urine and light and breath. That’s why the alcohol testers allow you to determine you were drinking or not.

With the rest of the liver alcohol to cope, so it is the body which applied the greatest harm. There are two main reasons why alcohol damages the liver:

  • Oxidative stress. as a result of chemical reactions accompanying the withdrawal of alcohol through the liver can suffer its cells. The body will try to heal itself, and that can get inflammation or scarring.
  • Toxins in the intestinal bacteria. Alcohol can damage the intestine, causing intestinal bacteria get into the liver and lead to inflammation.

Alcohol effect does not occur immediately, but only after several receptions. It occurs when the quantity of alcohol exceeds the amount that is excreted by the body.

How alcohol affects the brain

Faltering tongue, naughty body parts and memory loss — all symptoms of the effects of alcohol on the brain. People often consume alcoholic beverages, you begin to experience problems with coordination, balance and common sense. One of the main symptoms is inhibited reaction, so drivers are prohibited to drive the vehicle in a condition of alcoholic intoxication.

Effect of alcohol on the brain is that it changes the levels of neurotransmitters — substances that transmit impulses from neurons to muscle cells.

Neurotransmitters are responsible for processing external stimuli, emotions and behavior. They can either initiate electrical activity in the brain, or slowing it down.

One of the most important the inhibitory neurotransmitters — gamma-aminobutyric acid. Alcohol enhances its effect, thereby making the movement and speech of drunk people slow.

How to reduce the negative effects of alcohol

You can completely stop drinking alcohol, but not everyone can do it.

So here are some more gentle tips that will help to reduce the impact of alcohol on the body:

  • Drink plenty of water. Alcohol removes fluid from the body. Ideally, you should drink an extra liter of water, or even two, if you know what you’re going to consume alcohol.
  • Eat. As has been said, a full stomach slows the absorption of alcohol, thereby giving the body time to gradually withdraw.
  • Do Not eat fatty foods. Yes, fats creates a film that prevents the absorption of alcohol by stomach, but the excessive amount of fatty foods likely to harm than will be useful.
  • Do Not drink carbonated beverages. Carbon dioxide contained therein, accelerates the absorption of alcohol.
  • If you just want to support the company and do not intend to drink, then the best option is one strong drink per hour. Observing this rule, you will give the body time to remove alcohol.