Insomnia, or a sleep disorder, the problem faced by almost all. Insomnia is characterized not only by lack of sleep, but inability to sleep well, and may also include difficulty falling asleep, insufficient duration of sleep or early awakening, followed by inability to go back to sleep.
Causes of insomnia
- Adverse environment in which a person goes to sleep, such as noise, heat/cold, too hard or too soft bed.
- A change of lifestyle, such as traveling, moving to a new apartment.
- Stressful situations at home and at work.
- Of the disease, leading to pain syndrome, breathing difficulties or frequent urination.
- Anxiety /depression.
If a person can’t sleep in a stressful situation or insomnia is celebrated several times a year, you can try to solve the problem yourself.
Repetitive episodes of insomnia, or a prolonged period when person can not sleep, insomnia associated with depression, or if you are unable to cope with the problem, requiring treatment to the doctor and consult a specialist.
Treatment of insomnia
There are many methods of treating insomnia. Methods for the treatment of insomnia can be divided into drug and non-drug.
Self-treatment of insomnia
You may need a few weeks to set a new, natural sleep and wakefulness. Contact your doctor if you do not notice any improvement in sleep after taking the following actions:
- Do Not drink alcohol in the evenings. Despite the fact that alcohol has a short-term sedative effect on the body, and people can quickly fall asleep after drinking alcohol, however, alcohol has an effect on the phase of deep sleep. You may suddenly Wake up after the effect has ended.
- Do Not smoke, especially when lying down in bed. Nicotine has a stimulating action that keeps you awake at night and interferes with the normal sleep process.
- Do Not drink coffee at all, or try to drink it less. Caffeine remains in the body for 12-24 h. Remember that in addition to coffee, caffeine contain products such as chocolate, Cola and tea. If you suspect that caffeine is causing your insomnia, do not eat foods containing caffeine for at least 12 hours before bedtime.
- You Need to understand that some drugs disrupt the normal pattern of sleep. Many over-the-counter medicines used for colds, as well as containing pseudoephedrine, have the same stimulating effect on the body as caffeine. Therefore, before taking the medication you should ask the pharmacist how this medication affects sleep, and if he can maintain the state of wakefulness, can it be replaced by another.
- Do Not overeat just before bedtime. Unpleasant feeling of fullness can prevent falling asleep. It is best to limit snacks. So you can satisfy your hunger without disrupting sleep. Many implicitly believe in the miraculous power of a glass of warm or cold milk. You can add a little honey, cinnamon or vanilla. For some more suitable Cup of herbal tea, containing no caffeine.
- Bathe for an hour or two before bedtime. This will relax tense muscles and you want to sleep. However, you should not take a bath immediately before going to sleep, because it will have a stimulating effect on the body and will not let you sleep. Try to find the optimal time for you.
- Exercise on a Regular basis. So you quickly relieve stress and will feel cheerful in the morning. In addition, physical exercises consume a lot of energy and you get tired by the evening physically, which improves sleep. But avoid vigorous physical activity for a few hours before bedtime as this stimulates the nervous system and the normal process of sleep is disturbed.
- In the bedroom should be quiet and dark. If it bothers you, try using earplugs or a device “white noise”. Some people prefer to fall asleep to the sound of the Hairdryer or air conditioner.
- Optimum temperature for sleep 15.5-18.3 degrees. Also, good sleep is very important that the mattress was thick enough and comfortable.
- From a short NAP should be abandoned. Sleep fitfully, not longer than 20 minutes, maybe, oddly enough, to act refreshing on the body. However, longer NAPs after 4 hours of the day can affect normal sleep patterns and contribute to insomnia.
- Read a few minutes before you turn off the lights .This will help you relax and will cause somnolence.
- Not recommended in my thoughts “count sheep” while falling asleep. The expense of means concentration on a certain task. On the contrary, try to imagine yourself in some pleasant surroundings. Use your imagination to hear the soothing sounds while falling asleep.
- Bed should be a place to stay. Activities such as watching horror movies, assessment your expenses and to plan tomorrow’s work day, causing stress and anxiety, so it’s best to do this in bed.
Medical treatment of insomnia
Due to insomnia many people are forced to go to the doctor. However, the doctors first try to solve your problem without medication. To medication need be resorted to only in extreme cases. Sleeping pills usually do not promote normal, healthy sleep, and rather dramatically inhibit consciousness. Many of the sleeping pills sold without a prescription, designed for the so-called placebo effect, which means that the drug has an effect because the patient believes in it.
The doctor can determine the cause of the insomnia and to assign appropriate treatment.
Your doctor may prescribe sleeping pills if necessary. Do not take sleeping pills without the doctor’s recommendation, because usually such tools facilitate temporary difficulties falling asleep. Prolonged use may result in addiction.
Your doctor may refer you to a psychiatrist if necessary.
Hypnosis is a natural state of mind that lies somewhere between dreaming and sleeping, in this state, the hypnotist can access the subconscious mind and thus have access to 90% of the functions of the brain.
Hypnosis is used in the treatment of many diseases, most of them mental. Hypnosis allows you to restore the natural habits that exist within you at some point. Hypnosis for treatment of insomnia works in the same way. It may take a few sessions to restore the natural sleep, but hypnosis for treatment of insomnia is one of the safest ways and return to a full natural sleep back into your life.
The medical center there psychologists who are educated and experience in this field that can accept and work using hypnosis. Although hypnosis treatment for insomnia may take some time to get the desired result, it is considered one of the safest ways of dealing with insomnia without the formation of harmful addictions from drugs.
Sleeping pill to treat insomnia
When taken in a short period of time and under the supervision of a physician, sleeping pills can help your sleep problems. However, sleeping pills are only a temporary solution. Insomnia cannot be cured with sleeping pills. In fact, sleeping pills can often worsen insomnia in the long term. Therefore, it is best to limit sleeping pills situational reception, when human health is threatened.
Sleeping pills are most effective when used sparingly in the short term, for example: travel across many time zones or recovering after a medical procedure. If drugs are used for a long time on a daily basis can develop dependence and tolerance.