The appetite of an individual depends on a number of factors, primarily it is determined by the individual characteristics of metabolism. The appetite of the child is controlled by the needs of the body. The process of child’s growth is not uniform: in the first year of life, in adolescence, growth hormone, hormones thyroid and parathyroid glands, the sex hormones are produced in larger quantities, the child is actively growing, increases appetite. Appetite also depends on the level of energy consumption: the more a child spends energy, the better the appetite. Changes in appetite is quite natural, provided that the child is active and growing normally. However, the lack of appetite in a child who looks unwell or is growing slower than expected, should be cause for concern and seeking medical attention.
Possible causes of loss of appetite
- Lack of regular feeding regime. If the child is not used there at a certain time.
- Sweet snacks. The more candy your child will eat in between main meals, the harder it is to get him to eat a bowl of soup or a vegetable dish.
- The child’s Illness. When the disease the appetite of the child is greatly reduced, as all
the body is going to fight with disease. In this case, do not forcibly stuff the baby food.
- Emotional distress. During these periods, the parents should focus on the child and not on the amount eaten them in soup.
Child refuses to eat
Often the child refuses one or two products, or only eats a certain way cooked food — you should treat it as his individual characteristics and not to force him to eat what he likes. Persuasion and insistence of the parents, as a rule, lead to the opposite result. A person’s taste can change, sometimes children can suddenly abandon any of the types of foods they used to eat without objection or even with pleasure.
Is there a danger of starvation?
The danger that the child, restricting your diet will lack nutrients, small. The child’s body in the presence of food will not starve. The need for a certain amount of food expressed in heat units — calorie (amount of heat that can raise the temperature of 1 liter of water by 1°C). Institute of nutrition Academy of medical Sciences of Russia recommended calorie expenditure of children of different ages:
- From 3 to 5 years old – 1500 kcal.
- From 5 to 8 years old – 1800 kcal.
- From 8 to 12 years old — 2000 kcal.
- From12 to 16 years old – 2400 kcal.
Children and vegetarianism
Most experts believe that the food of the child should be of mixed (meat-milk-vegetable) with a sufficient amount of vitamins and minerals, and do not recommend vegetarianism to children. Plant food has several advantages, however, could not be replaced in the diet of the child meat, fish, milk, eggs. In these products contain essential child substances which are not present in plant foods. First of all, this high-grade animal protein, some vitamins and minerals: b vitamins, vitamin D, calcium, iron, zinc. Fish is a source of vitamin PP, group b, and phosphorus. Lack of these substances threatens the child with anemia, decrease in hemoglobin, which in turn leads to deterioration of the tissue supply with oxygen. Children with low hemoglobin level vegetarianism is contraindicated.
Proponents of vegetarianism believe that the growing body feels better when no meat food. It proved that people who adhere to vegetarianism, more likely to have diseases of the cardiovascular system, certain types of cancer. Vegetarians does not suffer from obesity. A vegetarian diet with a high content of dietary fiber, vitamin C and beta-carotene. In this diet is no animal fat is a source of cholesterol and saturated fats, which is the specific form of deposits on the walls of blood vessels — atherosclerotic plaque, which narrows the vessel lumen and blood circulation in tissues and organs.
Families in which adopted vegetarianism, have to worry about getting the child’s body all the nutrients.
The lack of any nutrients can affect growth retardation, physical and mental development and violation of the formation of skeleton and teeth. This is especially true of children of primary school age.
Make a child have?
Never, under any pretext do not force your child to eat by force. If you make the child eat what he does not like conflict may occur. Keep offering him a variety of foods, but don’t be mad and don’t be upset if he denies it.
Be aware of whether the child eats in between meals extra sweetness, etc. Unless the child looks sick or grows more slowly than expected, consult your doctor. It should be remembered that much more dangerous for health is not a temporary refusal to eat, excessive, or unbalanced diet.
How to improve appetite in a child?
- To Activate the energy cost of children: wholesome exercise, active games, walking outdoors, you also have to exclude overheating.
- Do Not overfeed. Don’t make it are forced to not disgust for food. Make child if there is
- Parental example is the best remedy for poor appetite of the child. If possible, dine with the whole family. Appetite eat the same food which is offered to him.
- Sweet before eating is the enemy of good nutrition. Offer the child a sweet after the main meals, for tea. If a child is hungry between meals, offer him fruit, nuts or dried fruit.