Nurofen for Children – antipyretic, anti-inflammatory and analgesic drug. Nurofen for Children contains the active ingredient ibuprofen – drugs group non-narcotic analgesics. Ibuprofen inhibits prostaglandin synthesis pathways of inhibition of cyclooxygenase and slow the metabolism of arachidonic acid. Reducing the level of prostaglandins in the nervous tissue leads to slowing down the generation and conduction of painful impulse, and reducing the concentration of prostaglandins in the thermoregulation center in the hypothalamus contributes to the normalization of body temperature in patients with hyperthermia.
The analgesic action of ibuprofen is also implemented by reducing the intensity of the inflammatory process.
Ibuprofen inhibits cyclooxygenase, also leads to decreased synthesis of thromboxane and, consequently, reduces platelet aggregation.
After oral administration, ibuprofen is completely absorbed in the gastrointestinal tract and reaches maximum concentration in the plasma within 45 minutes after ingestion on an empty stomach or 1-2 hours after taking the drug simultaneously with food. The order of 90-99% of ibuprofen is bound to plasma proteins.
In the liver the active ingredient of the drug Nurofen for Children completely metabolized to inactive derivatives. About 10% of ibuprofen is excreted unchanged, the remainder of the dose is excreted in form of metabolites kidneys.
The half-life of ibuprofen is 2 hours.
Ibuprofen crosses the blood-brain barrier.
Nurofen for Children is used as a means of symptomatic therapy in case of pain syndrome of moderate intensity in children aged 3 months (weighing more than 5 kg) to 12 years.
Nurofen for Children is also used as antipyretic after immunization and during acute inflammatory diseases in children with body weight more than 5 kg.
How to Take Nurofen for Children:
A suspension of Nurofen for Children is suitable for oral administration. To reduce the risk of undesirable effects it is recommended to use the drug Nurofen for Children for a short period, the minimum effective doses.
Dosing of the suspension is carried out using a special measuring device, included in the kit. It is recommended to take the slurry in undiluted form.
The duration of therapy and dose of ibuprofen determined by the attending physician taking into account individual peculiarities of the child and the nature of the disease.
Children ibuprofen dose calculated based on body weight, usually administered no more than 5-10 mg/kg of body weight of the child for the 1st time. Maximum recommended daily dose is 20-30 mg of ibuprofen per kilogram of body weight of the child. The minimum acceptable interval between administration of doses is 6 hours.
- Child 3-6 months weighing less than 5 kg, as a rule, prescribe a treatment of 2.5 ml suspension Nurofen for Children 1-3 times per day.
- Children aged 6 to 12 months is usually recommended intake of 2.5 ml suspension 1-4 times per day.
- Children 1 to 3 years, usually prescribe 5 ml suspension Nurofen for Children 1-3 times per day.
- Children from 4 to 6 years, as a rule, prescribe a treatment 7.5 ml suspension 1-3 times a day.
- Children 7-9 years usually prescribe a treatment of 10 ml suspension 1-3 times a day.
- Children of 10-12 years, as a rule, we recommend taking 15 ml suspension Nurofen for Children 1-3 times per day.
Hyperthermia after immunization it is recommended that a single dose single dose recommended for this age group. If necessary, suspension Nurofen for Children repeat after 6 hours.
You should not take the drug Nurofen for Children more than 3 consecutive days if within 3 days no marked improvement of the clinical picture, should consult your doctor.
If in children aged from 3 to 6 months there has been no improvement of the clinical picture within 24 hours after the beginning of the drug Nurofen for Children, you should immediately consult a doctor.
Side Effects of Nurofen for Children:
In applying the drug Nurofen for Children patients may develop such undesired effects caused by ibuprofen:
- From the digestive tract: pain in the epigastric and abdominal region, nausea, vomiting, flatulence, disorders of stool, dyspeptic symptoms. In a few cases noted the development of gastrointestinal bleeding, ulcers and perforation of the digestive tract, heartburn, gastritis, stomatitis, jaundice, hepatitis, and esophagitis.
- From the nervous system: headache, irritability, tinnitus, depression, sleep disturbances, psychomotor agitation, seizures. In a few cases, mainly in patients with autoimmune diseases, noted the development of aseptic meningitis.
- From the urinary system: pipeliners, increased levels of urea in plasma, the secretion of urea, acute renal failure. In a few cases developed interstitial nephritis and nephrotic syndrome.
- From the systems of blood: decrease in hematocrit and haemoglobin, eosinophilia, thrombocytopenia, anemia, neutropenia, leukopenia, pancytopenia and agranulocytosis.
- Allergic reactions: urticaria, exfoliative and bullous dermatitis, angioedema, anaphylactic shock, bronchospasm, photosensitivity.
- Other side effects of Child Nurofen: alopecia, arterial hypertension or hypotension, edema, heart failure, palpitations, reduced visual acuity and a change in the perception of colors. In addition, the possible development of dryness of the mucous membranes of the mouth, reduction of appetite and hearing loss.
With the development of side effects, consult a doctor.
The risk of side effects of ibuprofen increases with prolonged therapy, decreasing the interval between meals single doses and exceeding the recommended doses of the drug Nurofen for Children.
Nurofen for Children is not administered to patients with known hypersensitivity to ibuprofen, additional components of the slurry, as well as other drugs of the NSAIDs group (including patients with “Aspirin Triad” in history).
Nurofen for Children should not be administered to patients with gastric ulcer and gastrointestinal bleeding (currently or in history), as well as disorders of the kidneys, liver and heart.
In pediatric patients the drug Nurofen for Children suspension is used only for the treatment of children aged 3 months weighing more than 5 kg.
Caution is advised when prescribing the drug Nurofen for Children patients with heart failure, fluid retention, hypertension, a tendency to bronchospasm, autoimmune diseases, Crohn’s disease and chronic colitis.
Nurofen for kids is used with caution in patients who receive drugs that increase the risk of stomach ulcers and gastrointestinal bleeding.
Pregnancy and Baby Nurofen:
The drug Nurofen for Children is used for the treatment of children and adolescents under the age of 12.
Interaction Nurofen for Children suspension with other medications:
Nurofen for Children should not be administered combined with other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. With the use of various forms of ibuprofen maximum daily dose and the dose calculated based on all received forms.
- The child may potentiate the effects of anticoagulants of the warfarin type.
- Antihypertensive agents, diuretics, tacrolimus and cyclosporine increase the risk of nephrotoxicity of ibuprofen.
- Corticosteroids while the use of the drug Nurofen for Children increase the risk of developing side-effects from the digestive tract.
- Ibuprofen may reduce the level of cardiac glycosides in plasma.
- With the concomitant use of ibuprofen with antiplatelet means and selective inhibitors of serotonin increases the risk of gastrointestinal bleeding.
- Ibuprofen may increase plasma concentrations of lithium and methotrexate.
- Prohibited concomitant use of ibuprofen with mifepristone.
- Increases the risk of haemarthrosis and haematoma in the combined use of ibuprofen.
- Increased risk of seizures while taking ibuprofen and quinoline antibiotics.
Overdose of Nurofen for Children:
With a significant excess of recommended doses of the drug Nurofen for Children patients may develop vomiting, epigastric pain, stool disorders, headache, tinnitus, gastrointestinal bleeding. With further increase in dose may develop drowsiness or excitation, disorientation, seizures, coma and metabolic acidosis. In addition, in severe overdose may develop renal failure and hepatotoxicity of ibuprofen.
There is no specific antidote. Overdose suspension Nurofen for Children is carried out gastric lavage and appoint enterosorbent funds. In addition, with an overdose of ibuprofen shows the control status of the patient and assigning a supportive and symptomatic therapy.
Suspension for oral use with orange or strawberry Nurofen for Children 100 ml in dark glass bottles with a polymer cap with the protection of children, in a cardboard bundle 1 bottle complete with a metering device.
A suspension of Nurofen for Children it is recommended to store at temperatures from 15 to 25 degrees Celsius for no more than 3 years after graduation.
Composition of Nurofen for Children:
5 ml suspension Nurofen for Children contains:
- Ibuprofen 100 mg;
- Additional ingredients, including sodium saccharin.