Nurofen belongs to a group of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Has a pronounced anti-inflammatory, analgesic and antipyretic less pronounced effects.
Pharmacological action of Nurofen:
The place of action is in inhibiting (blocking) the effect of Nurofen on the synthesis (formation) of prostaglandins (specific substances support the body active inflammatory response).
There is some evidence of the ability of the so to stimulate the formation of endogenous (i.e. synthesized in the body) interferon, i.e. to influence the immune system and to improve the performance of nonspecific resistance (protection) of the organism.
The drug is rapidly absorbed (30-60 minutes). Capable of long-term stay in the synovial tissues of the joint without penetrating into the joint cavity.
Excreted by the kidneys, a small amount through the intestines (about 20%).
1. Rheumatoid disease:
- rheumatoid arthritis
- deforming osteoarthritis;
- ankylosing spondylitis;
- articular syndrome with exacerbation of gout and other rheumatoid and revmatoidnogo disease.
2. When expressed pain syndrome, concomitant lesions of the peripheral nervous system.
3. Fever in infectious and inflammatory diseases.
4. Severe pain or an infectious-inflammatory process in diseases of ENT – organs, adnexitis (inflammation of the ovaries), algodismenorrhea (menstrual disorders), head and tooth aches.
How to Take Nurofen:
Can be used both internally and externally.
Inside adults appoint 0.2-0.8 g 3-4 times a day. Upon reaching the positive therapeutic effect reduce the dose to 0.6-0.8 g per day. The correct therapeutic dose is chosen individually by your doctor, and depends on the severity of the process. The drug inside is recommended to be taken after meals or drink plenty of water (or milk).
Nurofen is applied topically as an ointment, gel. Applied to the affected area 3-4 times a day. In achieving positive clinical dynamics the ratio decreases to 2 times per day.
Side effects of Nurofen:
Is generally well tolerated. Has a rare proletarianism (ability to cause ulceration of the stomach or duodenum) effect.
- From the gastro-intestinal tract: nausea, vomiting, heartburn, flatulence (bloating).
- From the side of cardiovascular system: edema, increased blood pressure.
- respiratory: possible bronchospastic reactions.
- on the part of hematopoiesis: suppression of hematopoiesis.
- allergic Skin reactions. Rarely angioedema, aseptic meningitis (more often in patients with autoimmune diseases).
- acute ulcers and acute ulcers of the stomach and duodenum;
- ulcerative colitis;
- inhibition of blood, hemorrhagic diathesis;
- diseases of the optic nerve;
- portal and arterial hypertension;
- heart failure.
Contraindicated for external use Nurofen on the damaged skin.
Use of Nurofen in Pregnancy:
Nurofen is contraindicated in the last trimester of pregnancy. Use in 1 and 2 trimesters justified in cases when the expected benefit for the reception of the mother outweighs the potential risk to the fetus.
Lactation can be used for fever and pain. If necessary, long-term treatment (dose of 800 mg / day) should consult with your doctor about stopping breastfeeding.
Interaction with other medications:
- reduces the antihypertensive effect of ACE inhibitors and diuretics (furosemide, hydrochlorothiazide);
- in combination with coumarin anticoagulants increases the risk of hemorrhagic (bleeding, hemorrhage, etc) complications;
- increases the risk of complications from the blood using the drug in conjunction with corticosteroids and alcohol.
Tablets of 0.2 0,4 0.6 g in blister packs of 10, 20 pieces. Chewable tablets for children 0,05 0,1 n 24, and 0.2 g № 20.
Pills retardnoy (extended) of 0.8 g № 10, 20 and capsules retard 0,3 № 12.
Also available in the form of syrup 2% -100 (200) ml of 2% suspension for receiving inside for children at 60 and 120 ml.
4% – 15 ml of solution in the form of drops.
5% – 20 (50, 100) g cream in tubes and 10% – 30 ml in gel form for external use.
Painkillers and anti-inflammatories
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
Active substance: Ibuprofen
With caution should use the drug in the presence of concomitant diseases of the liver and kidneys, chronic heart failure, immediately after surgery, when there is a history of episodes of gastrointestinal bleeding and other gastrointestinal diseases.
During treatment requires monitoring (supervision) over activity of the kidneys, liver, peripheral blood, complaints from the Gastrointestinal tract.