Panadol – drug group selective nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. The drug contains the active ingredient paracetamol, which has strong antipyretic and analgesic effect. The mechanism of action of the drug is associated with inhibition of prostaglandin synthesis, which occurs by reducing the activity of the enzyme cyclooxygenase. Anti-inflammatory effects of the drug are mild due to the fact that paracetamol is inactivated by cellular peroxidases. Analgesic and antipyretic effect of the drug is by reducing the amount of prostaglandins in the Central nervous system.
The drug Panadol Asset except paracetamol contains sodium bicarbonate, which accelerates the absorption of active substances and provides an early onset of therapeutic effect of paracetamol.
After oral administration paracetamol is well absorbed in the gastrointestinal tract, maximum plasma concentrations of the active substance observed after 30-120 minutes after ingestion. The extent of paracetamol to plasma proteins is low. It is metabolized primarily in the liver, kidneys displayed in the form of metabolites. The half-life is 2-3 hours.
Panadol is used to eliminate the pain syndrome of various etiologies, including:
- Headache, migraine pain.
- Myalgia, arthralgia, rheumatic pain, neuralgia.
- Algomenorrhea, toothache.
- In addition, the drug can be used to eliminate the symptoms of flu, including fever, headache and muscle pain.
The drug is taken orally. Drug pills Panadol and Panadol Asset, it is recommended to swallow whole without chewing or crushing, drinking plenty of water. Drug pills Panadol Soluble before taking to be dissolved in a glass of water. The duration of treatment and the dose determined by the attending physician individually for each patient.
Adults and adolescents aged over 12 years is usually prescribed 500-1000mg of drug 3-4 times a day.
It is recommended to observe the interval between taking the drug for at least 4 hours.
Children aged 6 to 12 years is usually prescribed at 250-500 mg of the preparation 3-4 times a day. It is recommended to observe the interval between taking the drug for at least 4 hours.
The maximum daily dose for adults is 4000mg, for children aged 6 to 12 years – 2000mg. If necessary, the use of the drug for more than 3 consecutive days consult your doctor. It is not recommended to take the drug for more than 7 consecutive days.
Patients with impaired liver and/or kidney needed correction doses of the drug.
Side effects of Panadol:
The drug is generally well tolerated by patients, but in some cases may develop side effects such:
From the gastrointestinal tract and liver: nausea, vomiting, epigastric pain, increased activity of liver enzymes.
With the hematopoietic system: anemia, including hemolytic anemia, agranulocytosis, thrombocytopenia, pancytopenia. In addition, the possible development of methemohlobinemia, the symptoms of which are cyanosis, dyspnoea and cardialgia.
Allergic reactions: skin rash, pruritus, urticaria, erythema multiforme exudative, toxic epidermal necrolysis and anaphylactoid reactions.
Other: the decrease in the level of glucose in the blood up to hypoglycemic coma, bronchospasm (observed mainly in patients with high individual sensitivity to nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), papillary necrosis and interstitial nephritis.
Paracetamol may change the laboratory values of glucose and uric acid in the blood.
- Increased individual sensitivity to the drug components.
- Heavy human liver and/or kidneys.
- Violations of the hematopoietic system, including anemia and leukopenia.
- Drug Panadol and Panadol Soluble not used for the treatment of children under 6 years.
- Drug Panadol Asset is not used to treat children under the age of 12 years.
- Drug should not be administered to patients suffering from alcoholism.
- Drug should be used with caution in patients with liver disease and/or kidney disease.
Panadol and Pregnancy:
Panadol has no embryotoxic, mutagenic and teratogenic effects, however, due to the fact that paracetamol penetrates the barrier gematoplatzentarnyi its purpose during pregnancy is possible only if the expected benefit to the mother is higher than the potential risks to the fetus.
Panadol can be assigned to a lactation doctor, who must take into account the possible risks for the baby.
Interaction with other medicines:
- With the concomitant use of the drug enhances the therapeutic effect of coumarin anticoagulants, including warfarin.
- With the simultaneous use of metoclopramide and domperidone increase the absorption of paracetamol.
- Cholestyramine in the combined use reduces the absorption of paracetamol.
- While the use of the drug with barbiturates, the reduction in antipyretic effect of paracetamol.
- Inductors of microsomal oxidation, isoniazid, and hepatotoxic drugs increase the hepatotoxic effects of paracetamol.
- Drug while the application reduces the effectiveness of diuretics.
- Contraindicated the concomitant use of drug with ethanol.
Overdose of Panadol:
In applying the drug in doses, greatly exceeding recommended, patients may develop toxic lesions of a liver. In addition, in the first days after the overdose of the drug in patients may develop nausea, vomiting, pale skin, loss of appetite and abdominal pain. With further increase in dose may develop metabolic acidosis and disorders of carbohydrate metabolism. In severe intoxication by the drug may develop encephalopathy, haemorrhage, hypoglycaemia and coma.
In overdose shown gastric lavage, reception of enterosorbents. The specific antidote is N-acetylcysteine, which is used for the first 24 hours after ingestion of excessive doses of the drug. If the patient developed vomiting, overdose prescribed oral methionine. Treatment of paracetamol overdose should take place under strict medical supervision in hospital.
- Panadol Tablets, film-coated, 12 pieces in blister, 1 blister in a cardboard box.
- Tablets Panadol Asset, coated, 12 pieces in blister, 1 blister in a cardboard box.
- Soluble Tablets Panadol Soluble 2 pieces in the laminated strips, 6 strips in a carton pack.
The drug should be stored in a dry place away from direct sunlight at temperature not exceeding 25 degrees Celsius.
- Shelf-Life of the drug Panadol – 5 years.
- Shelf-Life of the drug Panadol Asset – 3 years.
- Shelf-Life of the drug Panadol Soluble – 4 year.
1 tablet coated with shell, Panadol contains:
- Paracetamol 500 mg;
1 tablet coated with shell, Panadol Asset contains:
- Acetaminophen – 500 mg;
- Auxiliary substances, including sodium bicarbonate.
1 tablet Panadol Soluble contains:
- Acetaminophen – 500 mg;
Active substance: Paracetamol