Alcohol

Alcohol Poisoning – Symptoms The Next Day

Alcohol Poisoning - Signs, Symptoms and Treatment

Alcohol consumption is a widespread habit, but scientific studies showed that alcohol has a negative impact on all of our bodies. It dehydrates us, depriving cells from their precious nutrients, it affects our internal organs, especially the liver, by decomposing into dangerous toxins and, the worse, it can destroy neurons, our most important cells. And this happens in every drink, alcohol poisoning taking these damages to a higher level.

Alcohol poisoning is the result of excessive drinking or consuming a large quantity of alcohol in a very short span of time. It is vital to know the alcohol poisoning symptoms so that you can help someone in need.

The Difference between Alcohol Poisoning and Hangover

The biggest difference that you need to know is about the treatment. While headaches can be treated using home remedies, this is not the case with alcohol poisoning.

The alcohol poisoning symptoms are different, and so is the treatment. In most of the cases, alcohol poisoning means a trip to the medical center or a nearby hospital. Alcohol Poisoning can be said to be the next level of a hangover.

Symptoms of alcohol poisoning next day

Alcohol is a depressant that works on the central nervous system. So drinking too much will have an effect on your normal brain functions, like awareness, coordination, memory and breathing correctly. Breathing is a reflexive self-protecting action, which is meant to keep you alive, so your body does it automatically. But excess alcohol can slow down this function, to the point a person forgets to breath.

The next day after heavy drinking, you will experience alcohol withdrawal. This involves nausea, trembling, shaking, headaches, lethargy, even vomiting. You may also have diarrhea, as the alcohol may have irritated your bowels. To diminish the symptoms, try drinking as much water as possible, because alcohol will severely dehydrate your body. Also, making some physical exercises will help your body sweat out the toxins.

Alcohol poisoning symptoms days later

Unfortunately, a severe alcohol intoxication will not be solved in a single day since large quantities of alcohol are difficult to process by your organism. You may still be experiencing brain fog, disorientation, difficulty in concentrating, stomach pains and diarrhea, nausea, headaches, which can last up to a week. The best way to keep these symptoms down is to avoid aggressing your body even more.

By any mean, do not drink any beverage with alcohol. Your system is still fighting to get rid of the overdose. Drink water, herbal teas, or fruit juice made out of freshly squeezed fruits, to keep an optimum hydration level in the body. The most alcohol is in your blood, so you need liquids to wash it out. Also, keep a simple and healthy diet. Avoid fried and junk food. Your liver has a hard enough job to clean out the alcohol, and then to tackle some more of fats and unhealthy food.

Symptoms Of Real Alcohol Poisoning

If you’re concerned that the person you’re with appears to be poisoned, you’ll know by checking the following:

Their breathing

If it’s irregular breathing and it appears to be slowing down then this is a bad sign. Call the emergency services.

They’re vomiting

Any person who is poisoned will be vomiting often, probably every few minutes and even when their stomach is empty. This is the body’s reflex to expel the poison.

However, just vomiting on its own does not mean that the person has alcohol poisoning. Other symptoms have to be present too. The person could simply just be drunk and have a sensitive stomach.

Seizures

This goes without saying but if someone has a seizure, they could be in deep trouble. The seizures could be due to hypoglycemia. So call an ambulance.

They are cold

Their body is getting colder and may even have a bluish tint. If left untreated then this person could catch hypothermia.

They don’t react to anything

If the person doesn’t react to anything, despite you trying to shake them out of the stupor, then check their eyes.
A very good and simple test to make is to see if their pupil reacts to a torch being shone directly on it.

If it reacts then that’s a good sign. If it fails to react then it’s a cause for concern and they should go to the hospital.

If you’re ever in doubt just call an ambulance.

Reviewed by the QSota Medical Advisory Board