Bedwetting means uncontrolled urination during sleep. Nocturnal enuresis usually children suffer. But it is also found nocturnal enuresis in adults. The disease is the inability to hold urine inside the bladder. However, again, most often involuntary urination during sleep in children of early and preschool age, which are of high nervous excitability.
To common causes of nocturnal enuresis include: trauma, fright. The anomaly of the urinary tract can also cause the development of urinary incontinence during sleep. Infectious diseases and inflammatory processes of the genitourinary system also lead to night urinary incontinence. In addition, nocturnal enuresis provoked by: improper diet, poor routine, endocrinological diseases.
Speaking of bedwetting adult, it is necessary to consider how the disease evolves with age. Diagnosis is “Nocturnal enuresis” can be delivered to a child older than 5 years, who during a night’s sleep does not control the excretion of urine. In this case we speak of involuntary urination during sleep, which can age to remain a person.
Statistics show that about 1 % of people who suffered in childhood bedwetting, continue to suffer from this disease and in older age. In addition, the frequency of nocturnal enuresis among boys 1.5-2 times higher than among girls.
Types of bedwetting and the reasons for its cause
In the diagnosis of urinary incontinence during sleep it is important to determine its type, which is:
- Primary bedwetting – urination happens every night in my dreams;
- Secondary bedwetting – urination occur rarely and can be caused by stress.
Causes of bedwetting:
- on the immaturity of the urinary system, particularly urinary tract infections;
- disorders of the nervous system. Sometimes the damage and pathology of brain and spinal cord inhibit the reflexes proper urination;
- infectious diseases of the genitourinary system;
- genetic predisposition to involuntary urination during sleep.
In addition to physiological reasons, to night enuresis in adults and children can cause psychological factors. Stress, anxiety, excitement on the eve of an upcoming event, various nervous feelings can all cause symptoms of nocturnal enuresis.
If incontinence of urine at night is peculiar to a child, among the psychological causes of this disease include getting used to a new environment, school, kindergarten, conflicts with parents, the appearance of a newborn baby, etc. All of this causes stress in the child, which leads to night enuresis.
Unfortunately, urinary incontinence during sleep are not unique to children. In women after 45 years, this disorder occurs in 3 times more often than men. Among the causes of night a man of Mature age incontinence are:
- a reduction in capacity of the bladder;
- walls of the bladder lose their elasticity, which causes nocturnal enuresis;
- decreased tone of the muscles covering the entrance from the bladder into the urethra that leads to the development of bedwetting in adults;
- infectious diseases of the urinary system;
- various inflammations (tonsillitis, cholecystitis, etc.);
Men over 50 years of age are required to adequately respond to bedwetting because it can be one of signs of development of BPH. When night enuresis in adult women may be diagnosed weakening of the abdominal muscles. In addition to involuntary urination during sleep are changes in a woman’s body associated with menopause and hormone imbalances.
The urinary Incontinence in a dream is the problem that doctors are struggling in various ways. If you need to avoid the unpleasant consequences that comes with nocturnal enuresis, you can use adult diapers and special bed sheets for people with bedwetting. You can also buy enuresis alarms that will beep immediately after involuntary urination in bed.