High blood pressure is also known as hypertension. Blood pressure is the amount of force exerted against the walls of the arteries as blood flows through them.
Blood pressure is the measure of the force of blood pushing against blood vessel walls. The heart pumps blood into the arteries (blood vessels), which carry the blood throughout the body. High blood pressure is dangerous because it makes the heart work harder to pump blood out to the body and contributes to hardening of the arteries, or atherosclerosis, to stroke, kidney disease, and to the development of heart failure
If a person has high blood pressure it means that the walls of the arteries are receiving too much pressure repeatedly – the pressure needs to be chronically elevated for a diagnosis of hypertension to be confirmed.
Blood Pressure 140/80
Blood pressure 140/80 called borderline hypertension. With age, the pressure steadily increases, respectively increases the risk of heart disease.
People with blood pressure 140/80 should regularly measure his blood pressure in order to prevent a further increase. At a pressure above these numbers is usually assigned medication.
Blood pressure 140 over 80 is grounds for the diagnosis of hypertension. There are many reasons of high blood pressure. In 90% of cases to determine the exact cause of hypertension is not possible. In this case, the diagnosis is essential hypertension.
In other causes, the reasons for increased pressure to 140/80 and above indicators can be:
- Obesity. Every kilogram of excess weight increases the pressure by 1 unit. That is the extra 20 kg would lead to a guaranteed hypertension.
- Pathological processes in the body. For example, high blood pressure often accompanies kidney disease.
- Age. The walls of the arteries with age lose their elasticity, vascular resistance to blood flow increases, the pressure increases.
- Genetic predisposition.
- Floor. Hypertension men are more vulnerable. Pressure women prevent sex hormone estrogen.
- Fatty and salty food.
- Alcohol Abuse.
- Lack of exercise.
- Constant stress.
- Heart Defects.
- An Increased content of adrenaline in the blood.
- Continuous use of hormonal contraceptives.
- High-risk pregnancy. For example, in late toxicity.
Therapy of hypertension is complex and involves treatment of folk remedies and medical therapy.
Self-treatment with home remedies
This ancient method of therapy used in the early stages of hypertension. Plants that lower blood pressure include:
- Dried flowers swamp;
- Sophora japonica;
- Calendula officinalis;
- Valeriana officinalis;
- Adonis spring.
The essence of this treatment consists in the appointment of antihypertensive drugs. They promote excretion of excess fluid, dilate blood vessels and thus reduce blood pressure. Drugs to reduce pressure are divided into five major groups:
- Thiazide. The safest and cheap diuretics. Their disadvantage is that in addition to water and sodium thiazides:
- Excrete potassium, which is essential for the heart. Therefore, people with a low potassium content of these drugs is contraindicated.Diuretics (Furosemide,” “Indapamid”). Promote the excretion of fluids from the body, due to which there is a decrease in pressure. Diuretics are divided into:
- Loop. It is a powerful diuretic used for emergency depressurization. Apply them on a regular basis is not recommended. The best known representative of this group of diuretics is “Furosemide”.
- Potassium-sparing diuretics. Indicated for use in patients with low potassium in the blood.
- Calcium Antagonists (“Verapamil”, “Nifedipine”). These drugs block calcium channels, and do not allow to shrink the walls of blood vessels. The result is a widening of the lumen of blood vessels, blood flow is restored and pressure returned to normal. The use of calcium antagonists are contraindicated in aortic stenosis, heart failure, ventricular dysfunction, arrhythmia.
- ACE Inhibitors (enalapril, Benazepril”). Currently these drugs are the main tools in the therapy of hypertension. They can be used for long-term treatment and for emergency patients. Contraindications for the appointment of APF are kidney failure, the narrowing of the renal arteries, allergies, pregnancy and lactation.
- Antagonists of angiotensin (“Cozaar”, “Losartan”). Have the same contraindications as the ACE inhibitors.
- Adren-blocker (“Betaxolol”, “Atenolol”). Block the effects of adrenaline on blood vessels. The result is a slow pulse, a decrease in the synthesis of norepinephrine and epinephrine, and renin. All this contributes to the reduction of pressure.
The main disadvantage “Betaxolol”, “Atenolol” is the large number of side effects that may occur at their reception. Therefore, to assign these drugs should only doctor.
To understand how efficient treatment of hypertension will help the following criteria:
- Good tolerance by the patient the proposed therapy.
- The decline of the upper and lower pressure to normal.
In modern medicine for the treatment of hypertension appoint not one but several drugs. They have different mechanisms of action and, accordingly, affect all the causes of high blood pressure.