What body shape am I – is it an hourglass, a triangle, or maybe a rectangle? If this question troubles you, we have a solution – a foolproof body type calculator that only needs a few seconds to give you a clear answer. Instead of analyzing your reflection in the mirror and wondering which shape does it resemble the most, we give you a fast and reliable way to determine what is your body type. Just input your measurements into the body shape calculator and let it classify you into one of seven most popular groups. Make sure to calculate your ideal weight, too!
The Body Type Calculator is designed for females to find their “body shape,” which can be used for getting targeted outfit Ideas. Even though there is some research linking certain body shapes with some health risks, the body shape result of this calculator is not intended to be a serious indication of health or an ideal that must be met. Instead, waist-hip ratio, which is also shown in the results of this calculator, is a better indicator of health.
How to take measurements?
When measuring, be sure to stand straight with arms to the side. Make sure the tape is snug against the body, but not too tight such that it compresses the body (making the measurement inaccurate).
- Bust size — the circumference measured around the chest over the fullest part of the breasts, while wearing a properly fitted bra.
- Waist size — the smallest circumference measured around the natural waist, just above the belly button.
- High hip size — the circumference of the upper swell of the hip over the pelvic region. It is around 7 inches (18 cm) below the natural waist.
- Hip size — the largest circumference measured around the hips over the largest part of the buttocks.
What is my body type?
Our body shape calculator will classify your body into one of seven most popular types. Naturally, not all women falling into one category are the same.
- Hourglass: this body shape is balanced and harmonious. The bust and hips are proportional and well-balanced, and the waist is clearly defined.
- Top hourglass: it is similar to the regular hourglass with a beautifully defined waist. Your bust is visibly larger than your hips.
- Bottom hourglass: just like the top hourglass, this body type has a clearly defined waist. Your bust is smaller than the hips.
- Spoon: if you’re a spoon, your hips are much larger than your bust. Your hips have a shelf-like appearance, and you have a nicely defined waist.
- Triangle: triangles have a slim upper body and wide hips (typically wider than the shoulders). Their waist is not clearly accentuated.
- Inverted triangle: inverted triangles have a subtle waist and a proportionally larger upper body. Your bust and shoulders are quite wide, and the hips are slim.
- Rectangle: this is a “boyish” body type – your hips, waist, and bust are about the same size. Your body is well proportioned and athletic in appearance.
Female body shapes in the fashion industry
In the fashion industry, body shapes are often categorized into four classes:
- Apple, or inverted triangle. This body shape describes a person who has broader shoulders and bust than they do hips.
- Banana, straight, or rectangle. This body shape describes a person who typically has waist measurements that are less than 9 inches smaller than the hip or bust measurements.
- Pear, spoon, bell, or triangle. This body shape describes a person who has hip measurements greater than their bust measurements.
- Hourglass, X shape, triangles opposing, or facing inwards. This body shape (typically presented as the “ideal”) describes a person with hip and bust measurements nearly equal in size, with a narrower waist measurement.