Cervical osteochondrosis is a disease of the intervertebral discs of the cervical spine. The first signs of the disease appear at the age from 25 to 40 years. Osteochondrosis of the cervical spine causing headaches in 30% of cases. Neglected, the disease leads to spinal disc protrusion or herniation.
How is cervical osteochondrosis
The cervical spine is the most mobile in the spine. It consists of 7 vertebrae. Between them there are elastic intervertebral discs. They make the spine flexible and give it strength. Each intervertebral disc consists of the annulus fibrosus, where the nucleus pulpous.
When degenerative disc disease is a metabolic disorder in the spine. The intervertebral disc loses its strength and elasticity. Due to the load of the fibrous ring and bulges crack. Osteochondrosis of the cervical spine may lead to protrusion or herniation of the intervertebral.
Causes of cervical degenerative disc disease
Major causes of cervical osteochondrosis are:
- sedentary lifestyle
- metabolic disorder
- deposition of salts in the cervical spine;
- poor diet
- computer work, constant driving.
To risk factors for the disease include:
- genetic predisposition
- injuries of the cervical spine;
- hormonal disorders
- rheumatic fever, systemic lupus erythematosus.
Symptoms of cervical degenerative disc disease
The symptoms of the disease include:
- pain in the neck, head, shoulder and arm, worse when the minimum load on the hand, cough, sneeze
- crunch and a pain in the neck when turning or tilting the head;
- numbness, tingling in the hands or feet, burning between the shoulder blades;
- headache, which usually starts in the neck and spreads to the crown and temples;
- dizziness and even fainting when a sudden turn of the head;
- feeling of weakness and fatigue.
Other symptoms of degenerative disc disease of the cervical spine: tinnitus, decrease in visual acuity and hearing, and sometimes nagging pain in the heart area.
What are the dangers of cervical osteochondrosis
Osteochondrosis of the neck is the most dangerous kind of disease. In small the cervical spine undergoes a lot of nerve channels and blood vessels that feed the brain. In the cervical vertebrae more closely adjacent to each other. Therefore, even when a small change in one of the vertebrae is compression or displacement of nerves and blood vessels.
Because of cerebrovascular disorders occur migraine, vegetative-vascular dystonia and hypertension, problems with the cardiovascular and respiratory systems, hearing, vision, coordination.
In advanced osteochondrosis of the cervical spine may lead to vertebral artery syndrome. Vertebral artery supplies blood to the medulla and cerebellum. When compression of the artery may develop ischemia of the brain and spinal cord, can occur spinal stroke.
Osteochondrosis of the neck leads to the damage of the nerve roots — radiculopathy, the formation of outgrowths on the vertebrae, a partial or complete loss of mobility. The most severe consequence of cervical degenerative disc disease — compression of the spinal cord that can cause death. Serious consequences can be avoided if the time to begin to treat the disease.
Diagnosis of cervical degenerative disc disease
At the first symptoms of cervical degenerative disc disease refer to a specialist. The doctor at the clinic would conduct a comprehensive examination and make a correct diagnosis. We use the following diagnostic methods:
Treatment of degenerative disc disease of the cervical spine
The doctors at our clinics treat osteochondrosis of the cervical spine without surgery. Used more than 20 kinds of conservative methods of treatment of cervical degenerative disc disease. Conservative treatment relieves symptoms and stops the progression of the disease.
A doctor prescribes the patient a course of treatment taking into account the stage of disease, age, sex, and characteristics of the organism. Treatment of osteochondrosis of the cervical spine can take up to a month and a half. The patient undergoes the procedure 2-3 times a week. Neck pain will take place after the first week of treatment. The course of treatment consists of the following procedures:
Chiropractor hands relieves back pain and muscle spasm, restore joint mobility and relaxes muscles.
Osteopath identifies problems in the body using palpatory diagnosis, restores mobility of joints, relieves muscle tension.
The doctor puts the bees in a point with a reinforced flow of blood and lymph. Treatment with bee stings relieves the pain and inflammation, kills bacteria, tones up the nervous system.
Kinesiologist palpation affects the muscles and joints. Actions specialist to restore the muscles and ligaments, relieve muscle tension.
Hirudotherapy (treatment with leeches)
Leech bite injects into the patient’s blood enzyme hirudin. It reduces swelling and inflammation, strengthens blood vessels, speeds up the movement of blood and lymph.
Reflexologist affects needles on biologically active points. Acupuncture relieves pain, inflammation and spasm of blood vessels, improves tissue nutrition.
Kinezioterapevt spends with the patient physiotherapy. It relieves pain, improves joint mobility, normalizes blood pressure, speeds up the metabolism.
Effects of electrical pulses of low frequency and reduces inflammation and swelling, normalizes the function of the affected nerves, stops decay of cartilage.
The massage therapist uses kneading, rubbing and other techniques. Massage relieves pain and tension in muscles, improves posture, relieves headaches.
The effects of laser, ultrasound, electrical currents and other physical factors relieves pain, improves circulation and tissue nutrition, it accelerates the removal of toxins.
Therapeutic mud contains biologically active substances and minerals. Mud wraps stimulate the metabolism, improve tissue nutrition, eliminate toxins.
Treatment of active oxygen
The ozone-oxygen mixture is injected intravenously or in the form of microinjections. Ozone destroys bacteria and viruses, eliminates toxins, improves the immune system.
Millimeter wave therapy
The doctor sends electromagnetic waves to biologically active points. MMWT stimulates regenerative processes.
The massage affects the blood vessels and lymph nodes. Massage accelerates the flow of lymph and metabolism, displays the body of toxins, cures varicose veins.
Doctor puts adhesive tapes — tapes. The method relaxes muscles, treats sprains, muscles and joints injuries, incorrect posture.
The influence of red and infrared radiation improves circulation, strengthens the spine, speeds up the elimination of toxins and decay products, improves the immune system.
The doctor makes the patient injections of the plasma. Procedure restore tissue around the joints and spine, reduce pain and inflammation, help able to move more freely.
Specialist affects the diseased area with ultrasonic waves. Treatments accelerate the recovery of damaged tissues, improve blood circulation and lymph flow.
The doctor refers the patient to a magnetic field. Treatment stops the destruction of the intervertebral discs, reduces inflammation and strengthens the immune system.
Specialist performs the massage with smooth movements. The procedure relieves headache, relaxes the nervous system and normalizes blood pressure.
Doctor massaging his back, moving from the waist to the neck. Massage relieves pain in muscles, improves the spine, relieves stress and strengthens the immune system.
Specialist influence on biologically active points on the feet. This reduces pain in the legs, corrects the curvature of the arch of the foot and relaxes the muscles.
Doctor massaging the neck muscles and shoulders. After the procedure takes place headaches and nervous tension. Massage helps to cure cervical back pain and insomnia.
The treatment of cervical osteoarthritis relieves pain, swelling and inflammation in the affected area, improves circulation, relieve trapped nerve roots. The patient activates the metabolism and nutrition of the intervertebral discs, relax tense muscles of the neck. The treatment prevents the appearance of protrusions and herniated discs.
After completing the course the doctor will advise the patient what to do to pain in the neck no longer bothered.
Prevention of cervical degenerative disc disease
Doctors recommend for disease prevention:
- to sleep on orthopaedic mattress and a low pillow
- to regularly go to the sauna or bath — this will relieve spasms of the neck muscles;
- to take a hot shower for 10 minutes;
- swimming, yoga, more walking;
- avoid sudden head movements;
- to abandon the strong load on the spine: running, jumping, reinforced practice in the gym
- when working at the computer, take a break for 5 minutes every hour. During breaks go, do tilts his head and torso in different directions;
- sitting at a Desk or computer to keep your head up and back straight;
- choose chairs that support the spine.
Proper nutrition with cervical osteochondrosis
In osteochondrosis of the cervical spine, doctors recommend eating small meals at least 5 times a day. Eat boiled or steamed food. Drink at least 1.5 liters of water per day. Fill salads with olive oil. Give up cigarettes and alcoholic beverages.
Include in the diet the following products:
- lean meat: beef, rabbit, chicken;
- vegetables and fruits: cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, onions, peppers, beets, cabbage, broccoli, celery, eggplant, avocado, spinach, watercress;
- dairy products: cheese, curd, milk;
- seafood: fish, lobster, oysters, crab;
- dishes with gelatin: jelly, aspic, jellied fish;
- nuts and seeds: almonds, hazelnuts, sunflower seeds
- mushrooms, eggs, cereals.
Try to eat less sugar, grapes, legumes (peas, beans), meat broths. Eliminate from the diet of salty and smoked products, pastry products, hot spices.
To strengthen the muscles of the neck in osteochondrosis perform the following exercises:
- Lying on his stomach, uprites hands on the floor. Slowly lift the head, hold the position for a minute. Return to the starting position. Repeat the exercise 3-4 times.
- while Lying on your stomach, extend your arms along the body. Slowly turn your head to the right. Back to the original position. Then turn your head to the left. Repeat the exercise on both sides 5 times.
- Sit on a chair. Slowly, as you exhale, tilt your head forward as bringing her to the chin. Return to the starting position. On the inhale slowly bend your head back. Repeat the exercise 10 times.
- If the status allows you, follow head rotation, 4 times clockwise and 4 times counterclockwise.
Before beginning gymnastics, consult your doctor. If in gymnastics you have a really sore neck, stop training and consult a doctor.
Video: Cervical Disc Degeneration – causes, symptoms, treatment