Dandruff is the exfoliated skin particles, which is a slight manifestation of diseases such as seborrheic dermatitis. If we turn to the Latin language, the literal translation of the word “Dandruff” sounds like “Bran”. This is because loose particles of skin appearance reminiscent of all known dietary product.
Although dandruff is for many people a familiar phenomenon, a syndrome is a medical concept, which is manifested in the detachment of small particles of the skin at a significant rate. He bothers the patient for a long time, sometimes throughout life, localization of the pathological process – the scalp. To get rid of an obsessive syndrome, you need to know about the causes of dandruff and how to fight it.
Reasons leading to the rapid separation of the particles of the dermis on the head, there are several.
There are certain factors, which influenced each other exacerbate the existing problem:
- Metabolic disorders. Failure in the metabolic processes there is a drop in the body’s resistance to various exogenous pathogenic factors.
- Hormonal dysfunction often leads to the appearance of dandruff of the female.
- Gastrointestinal Diseases, endocrine disorders, respiratory diseases, neurological problems in the field, immunodeficiency States.
- The cause of the dandruff, which will be impossible to correct this genetic predisposition.
- disruption of the glands of external secretion and the sebaceous.
- Errors in diet, lack of vitamins.
- Strain, both physical and mental.
- Of mycotic infection, the causative agent of which are yeast-like fungi P. Ovale. Normal, they can be detected on the skin of 90% of people show abnormal activity they begin under the influence of factors provocateurs, leading to decreased protective forces of an organism.
- Hypothermia of the scalp and its overheating due to improper operation of the headdress.
- Frequent use of Hairdryer, the impact of chemical dyes, the use of curling, any aggressive action on the scalp.
- Poor hygiene, and ignorance of shampooing.
In addition, there are additional factors that increase the risk of development of dandruff, among them:
- Age in adolescent and young age the disease develops more often. In children, the dandruff will not appear practically never. In puberty dandruff can be a physiological phenomenon associated with the growing of the sebaceous glands under the influence of hormones.
- Nervous overstrain. When a person is in a state of chronic stress, dandruff will be his compulsory companion.
In medicine it is customary to treat dandruff, a form of skin diseases – seborrheic dermatitis. When the exfoliated flakes are dry, sebum secretion is reduced. If normal skin cells should flake off for months, then when dry seborrhea they depart in 7 days.
There is classification, which involves the distinction of dandruff dry and oily, but some scientists believe it is not quite correct. They attribute this to the fact that true dandruff can’t be fat, as the products of the sebaceous glands is significantly reduced. For oily dandruff and flaking on your hair are rare, they are attached to the dermis. In contrast to dry dandruff, which is always a lot, besides it causes itching and irritation of the skin.
Dandruff and itchy scalp – what are the reasons?
Itching of the scalp almost always occurs in the presence of dandruff. This is due to the fact that the scalp is too much dry. The reason for this is the lack of sebaceous glands. In the result skin cells die, the dermis suffers from microscopic cracks that cause itching.
Itching is also a result of the interaction of the scalp and water. The dermis retain moisture due to the irregularities in the sebaceous glands, and water and improper means to wash exacerbate this process. The result is a feeling of tension and irritation.
The itching intensified under the influence of external stimuli. So, people suffering from dandruff, trying to hide it under hats or hair dyed in bright colors. However, this only exacerbates the situation, making the itch even stronger.
Another reason for the itching is the fungus Malassezia activity. When they become very many, they provoke the irritation of the scalp and, therefore, makes a person to comb her.
Symptoms of dandruff
The fact that a person suffers from dandruff, allows the judge the following symptoms:
- The appearance of flakes of white color on the top clothing, hair and shoulders, comb and on the cap. These scales represent the detached layer of the epidermis of the head.
- Often in the case of dandruff the scalp is dry, however, it can be fatty. Both these pathological conditions of the dermis are the result of metabolic disorders.
- Hair becomes unhealthy. They become brittle and dull.
- If a painful condition progresses, the exfoliated scales of the dermis become larger on the head form crusts of a yellowish-gray color and spots appear.
- Scalp itches.
What you should not do with dandruff?
- If symptoms appear, indicating the presence of dandruff, it is forbidden to use alcohol funds for the care of the scalp. They aggravate the pathological condition of the skin, without drying it even more.
- You should avoid scratching the scalp. Itching always accompanies dandruff. If you try to eliminate it and scratching the head, the problem can only grow. Even a small microscopic injuries are the gateway for the penetration of infectious agents. In the end, the scalp abscesses are formed.
- It is Forbidden to dye your hair, and apply other aggressive substances on them.
- To enhance the delamination can hard metal teeth combs. If you are not careful they will injure the scalp.
- To cure is to refrain from using Curling irons, a hair dryer and a flat iron for hair styling.
Frequently asked questions about dandruff
- Is there any connection between dandruff and hair loss? found that dandruff can be the cause of the loss of hair. However, be sure to look for other problems alopecia because the dandruff is one of the additional and not the main causes. Therefore, if only to get rid of dandruff, hair loss will stop.
- What causes dandruff? Why it appears again and again? the Majority of scholars are of the opinion that dandruff is caused by individual predisposition to it. Exfoliation of the particles of the dermis is a natural process that is designed to update it. In some people this process happens faster than others, which is why they can’t get rid of the problem forever.
After people with individual predisposition refuse to use tools to slow down the division of epidermis or particles capable of dissolving the formed flakes, dandruff will once again become visible. In this case the only solution is to use a special shampoos and conditioners on a regular basis.
In addition, studies have been conducted that have established the relationship between dandruff and excessive dryness of the dermis of the head. This is due to the use of cleaning agents that are included in most shampoos that manufacturers recommend for daily use.
To the skin has been updated normally and does not cause discomfort to its owner, it must have a certain level of humidity ensured by a thin fat layer. Otherwise, the process of shedding particles of the epidermis is disrupted. For the production of fat responsible the sebaceous glands. Frequent impact on the dermis aggressive detergents is washing away the protective fat layer. Dry skin starts to divide more rapidly, the particles increase in size this causes the appearance of the visible dandruff, which was invisible earlier.
- Dandruff is associated with a fungus? There is a definite relationship between fungal infection in his scalp and dandruff. In this respect, the danger of mycotic organisms of the type Pityrosporum. They inhabit the hair of the person and the epidermal layer of the skin. In this regard, to get rid of dandruff are shampoos with antifungal component.
- Dandruff contagious? It is transmitted from person to person? do Not worry about the fact that dandruff is contagious. Even the fact that it is sometimes caused by mioticescimi organisms, is not a cause for concern. The fact that these fungi in the rule exist on the skin and hair of most people, however, hair loss of them have not appeared.
- Why in addition to dandruff, I have itchy head? There is a perception that the emergence of a sense of itching may be due to a microscopic fungi of the genus Malassezia. To get rid of it, no special measures are necessary. It will be enough to undergo treatment for dandruff and itching will resolve itself.
- How to choose a good shampoo “Every day”? it is Important that the shampoo that you want to wash your hair every day, not have such a component as sodium lauryl sulfate. It and its derivatives have a drying effect on the dermis of the head. Therefore, if there is a need for frequent hair washing, it is preferable to use shampoos, which include less aggressive cleaning components: S. (sodium) Cocoyl Isethionate, or S. dodecyl sulfate, or S. Isethionate, or Disodium laureth sulfosuccinate or Cocamidopropyl Betaine.
- Do I Need a special shampoo for dandruff for men? No special means to buy does not make sense, since the formation of dandruff in men and women is triggered by the same factors.
- Can I cope with dandruff with herbal oils and medicinal herbs? that there is any effect from the use of oils in respect to get rid of dandruff no data available. We are talking about olive, castor, burdock oil. A study was conducted in respect only of tea tree oil in 5% solution. It is established that it is able to reduce the amount of discharge of particles of the epidermis. But this progress is not enough to recommend this oil as a medicine. As for the popular herbs used for getting rid of dandruff, for example, burdock, calendula and others, and in this regard, clinical trials have not been conducted. There is information regarding the activity of the leaf extract of Aloe Vera against fungus causing dandruff. However, these data were obtained after researches carried out in the laboratory. It is not known whether this feature also work when it is in the shampoo.
- Does dandruff rinse hair with vinegar or baking soda. of Clinical studies in this respect also was conducted. However, it can be assumed that baking soda can not only get rid of the problem, but aggravate it. The fact that in contact with the dermis, sodium bicarbonate creates an alkaline environment. However, even a normal process the detachment of the epithelial cells is disturbed. If it is broken, this process will be more intense. You can assume that the vinegar will not give the desired effect. Although it is essentially an acid, but its structural formula has a fundamental difference from ingredients, which could be useful in a particular case.
- That could mean the dandruff in ears? When, in the ears of detected particles of epithelium, it is reasonable to assume that they got there from the head. If this is possible, then their presence in the ears may be a symptom of the true seborrhea.
- That could mean “Dandruff” on the body? When the body spots appear on certain areas of the skin, and on top of them to keep the scales of silver color, it requires immediate treatment to the dermatologist. A similar phenomenon can be a symptom of diseases, such as seborrhea or multi-colored lichen. In addition, there are many other diseases of the dermis, to determine who may be a doctor.
- That can mean profuse dandruff in a child or teenager? When it detects such problems, consultation of doctor is required. Perhaps the child has a serious infection of the skin, e.g., ringworm. This condition requires emergency treatment.
- That could mean the dandruff of a newborn child? newborn babies are prone to flaking on the head. They have a yellow-brown color, in medicine this condition is defined as children’s seborrhea. Parents should not be afraid of this phenomenon. It is because the cells of the dermis infant sharing way too quickly and don’t have time to slushayutsya. To produce flakes, which can be detected not only on the head, but also on the face. This condition will resolve itself as the growth of the baby. Most often this process of becoming a fully regulated in a few weeks. Sometimes it can take up to 8 months. Scales from the skin of the child can be removed. They need to be greased with a little oil, but only for children, and no ordinary plant. The latter is not applicable, as the triggers the growth of fungal flora. Several hours later, the crusts gently removed using a soft brush.
- That could mean severe dandruff for an elderly person? most Often this phenomenon indicates seborrhea.
- What to do if a lot of dandruff on your head? If the head is dandruff, then a visit to the dermatologist should not be delayed. A large number of scales indicates the activity of the process of delamination, and it may be caused by serious diseases and problems in organs. To determine the pathology can only be a specialist. If disease is possible, it is recommended the use of therapeutic shampoos based on selenium sulfide and ketoconazole.
What methods treated dandruff?
Traditional ways of getting rid of dandruff include the use of shampoos that contain in their composition antimycotic component. To choose a suitable tools, you should visit a doctor-trichologist. The fact that dandruff can be a symptom of serious irregularities in the human body.
Most likely, the patient will be encouraged not only to use shampoos, but correcting the way of life in General (after will exclude other serious pathology). It is necessary to reconsider the diet, increase in the content of foods rich in fiber. In addition, for the period of treatment should abandon effects on the dermis of the head of any aggressive substances, in particular, this applies to the chemical coloring, blow-drying, use a flat iron, Curling iron, etc.
Everyone, without exception, the patient will be assigned to the use of shampoos and lotions with antifungal agents.
|The Brand of Shampoo||Advantages||Disadvantages|
|Ichthyol (shampoo Dermasence)||
|Clotrimazole (shampoo Cloderm)||
|Bifonazole (shampoo Bifon)||
|Ketoconazole (included in shampoos, too bad, Parkhotel, Mycosoral and Nizoral)||
|Zinc Pyrithione (shampoo friderm Zinc)||
|Seborin (such as octopirox)||
|Ciclopirox (shampoo Sebiprox)||
|Salicylic Acid (shampoo Salicylic)||
|Extract of Quassia Amara (part of Quasix cream)||
|Medical Tar (shampoo friderm Tar, SABATON, T/Gel)||
|Selenium Sulfide (shampoo SULSENA)||
Higher therapeutic activity are able to show the funds, which include not one but several existing active substances. It tools such as:
- Keto plus based on the ketoconazole and zinc pyrithione;
- Alopex-based tar and salicylic acid;
- Kelual DS ciclopiroxolamine, zinc pyrithione and celanidum;
- Phytosylic with oils of cypress, frankincense and tea tree and salicylic acid;
- NodeDS with climbazole, zinc pyrithione and salicylic acid.
Drugs used for normalization of lipolysis
In order to normalize the process of breakdown of fats into component fatty acids it is possible to use Riboflavin (involved in the process of fat metabolism, normalizes the process of their oxidation and reduction) and Methionine (regulates the synthesis of phospholipids from fats).
In addition, patients with dandruff can be the recommended restorative treatment. It is important to get rid of immunodeficita, dysbiosis and deficiencies. With this goal vitamin and mineral complexes, Immunostimulants and probiotics.
Getting rid of dandruff is impossible without correction of lifestyle. It concerns the emotional sphere, General physical condition, and diet. If you are unable to cope with stress, psychoses and neuroses of their own, you should consult a therapist. Perhaps that will be sufficient to receive mild sedatives, for example, Persen.