During menstruation, if the pain is not very pronounced, doctors recommend to maintain their usual activity that will relax the muscles of the uterus and distract from unpleasant feelings. If the pain is intense enough, lie on your back or on your side, relax your abdominal muscles (to do this bring your knees to your chest), on the abdomen can put a hot water bottle with warm or cold water.
Some women during menstruation helps is a hot bath (but remember that heat can increase bleeding) or 20-50 grams of alcoholic beverage inside, such as cognac. But unfortunately, sometimes it happens that pain during menstruation is unbearable or interfere with emergency cases. Then you have to resort to tablets.
Common Drugs and Medications to Treat Painful Periods
1. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, has a pronounced analgesic effect. Due to the special mechanism of action, drugs of this group can be recommended for 2-4 days before the expected menstruation. In this case the discomfort will not arise, or they will be minor.
Medication during menstruation
- Tablets Aspirin – the maximum single dose of 2 tablets, but not more than 6 tablets 3-4 times a day.
- Tablets Paracetamol – the maximum single dose of 2 tablets, but not more than 8 tablets 3-4 times a day.
- Tablets Ibuprofen – the maximum single dose of 2 tablets, but not more than 6 tablets 3-4 times a day.
- Tablets Naproxen – the maximum single dose of 2 tablets, but not more than 4 tablets 2 times a day.
- Tablets Diclofenac – the maximum single dose of 1 tablet, but not more than 3 tablets 3 times a day. Can be used in the form of rectal suppositories: 1 suppository-1-2 times a day.
- Tablets Indomethacin – the maximum single dose of 1 tablet, but not more than 3 tablets 3 times a day. Can be used in the form of rectal suppositories: 1 suppository-1-2 times a day.
- Tablets Piroxicam – the maximum single dose of 1 tablet, but not more than 3 tablets 3 times a day. Can be used in the form of rectal suppositories: 1 suppository-1-2 times a day.
- Tablets Ketoprofen – the maximum single dose of 2 tablets, but not more than 6 tablets 3-4 times a day.
All the drugs in this group must be taken after meals, drinking plenty of water (not milk, juice or alcoholic beverages). The effect develops in 0.5-2 hours after administration, the maximum analgesic effect after 4 hours.
Treatment Duration: up to 4 days or until disappearance of pain.
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs is contraindicated:
- if you have allergic reactions to nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs;
- with active or suspected latent bleeding (except menstrual);
- ulcers of the stomach or intestines in the acute stage;
- during pregnancy and lactation;
- with a significant impaired liver and kidney.
- if you have severe heart failure or hypertension.
2. Antispasmodics. Used alone or in combination with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs in case of insufficient effectiveness. For example:
- Tablets Papaverine 1 tablet 3-5 times daily.
- Tablets no-Spa – 1-2 tablets 2-3 times a day.
- Tablets Galidor 1 tablet 3 times a day.
- Tablets Buscopan – 1-2 tablets 3-5 times a day.
- Tablets Drotaverine – 1-2 tablets 2-3 times a day. Maximum daily dose of 240 mg.
Treatment Duration: up to 2 days or until the pain disappears.
Antispasmodics are contraindicated in:
- in renal failure, severe;
- in severe hepatic failure;
- in severe heart failure;
- in case of hypersensitivity to product components;
- hypotension (due to collapse hazard);
- glaucoma (increased intraocular pressure).
3. Analgesics, derivative of Metamizol sodium. this group includes the familiar tablets Analgin, Baralgin, and Minalin, Nebgen, Nobel, Novalgin, Optalgin, Piratin, Analgin, Spasmolin and others. Apply 1-2 tablets 1-3 times a day, but not more than 6 tablets per day. Analgesic effect reaches a maximum at 20 minutes after the first dose, the duration of action of the drug in about 2 hours. After taking the drug, possible red coloration of urine – do not worry, this is normal.
Medicine on the basis of Metamizol sodium is contraindicated in:
- hypersensitivity to Metamizol sodium.
- expressed violations of the liver and kidney;
- violation of hematopoiesis;
- hereditary breach – the deficit glukozo-6-fosfatdegidrogenaza.
In any case, before the use of drugs, tablets and medicines during menstruation should read carefully the user manual!
It will reduce discomfort during menstruation can help with diet. A few days before and during menstruation, try to give up alcoholic drinks and Smoking, limit the amount of fried, salty, spicy and sour dishes, as well as flour products. Some women facilitate well-being helps to use beet or carrot juice.
Also it may be useful to use during menstruation natural herbal infusions:
- Melissa (grass) – 10.0 g; peppermint (herb) – 10.0 g; chamomile (flowers) – 10.0 g; marigolds (flowers) -10,0 g; Ruta (herb) – 10.0 g; buckthorn (bark) – 10.0 g Tincture take 1 Cup during the day.
- Cascara Sagrada (bark) – 25,0 g; Melissa (grass) – 25,0 g, bloodroot goose (grass) – 25,0 g; Valerian (root) – 25,0 g Infusion take 1 glass 3 times a day for 3-5 days before the onset of menstruation.
Not so often, but there are situations when a patient with pain during menses in need of emergency hospitalization.
You Should immediately call an ambulance in the following situations:
- if You have lost your mind;
- if You experience repeated dizziness when you stand up from a prone position;
- if You experience sudden, intense pain in the lower abdomen or pelvic area, which makes “half bend”;
- if You note the presence of pieces of tissue in menstrual blood, often silvery or grayish in color;
- if there is a possibility that You are currently pregnant.
In the absence of an emergency after bleeding during menses, contact your gynecologist. The doctor will prescribe a comprehensive examination, while you may need to consult other specialists such as endocrinologist. Also with a specialist, you can discuss methods of anesthesia during menstruation, effective for You, as well as drugs, regulate the balance of hormones in the body. With adequate treatment, you will forget about pain in menstruation.