The effect of alcohol on the gastrointestinal tract should be viewed as mostly negative. Ethyl alcohol is a natural toxin and the high concentration of this fluid just destroy cells of the lining of the esophagus, stomach and intestines. On the other hand, it is important the number and concentration of alcohol. Any substance can be a poison, for example – we breathe the poisonous oxygen that destroys even stone. The postulate that alcohol is certainly harmful, based on ignorance of normal human physiology. Alcohol in moderate doses relieves stress, protects vessels from atherosclerosis, stimulates the digestive system.
Safe for the stomach rate of alcohol
Any alcohol above 40% of course damages the mucous membranes (chemical burn). Of course, there are “heroes”, in which the mucous membrane “used” to such loads, but this means that the wear of the resource this tissue is much increased, and complications will manifest themselves after a certain time. the Strong alcohol provokes esophagitis, gastritis, gastro-duodenitis.in constant use are formed of chronic inflammatory diseases and are prerequisites for cancer of the esophagus and stomach.
Daily Supplement it is recommended that no more than one glass of good wine or 50 ml of normal brandy, but not all so simple.
Contraindications for alcohol:
- people with formed alcohol dependence. Ie, if a person have a hangover (even rarely), it comes from the initiative to drinking alcohol not less than 2 times per month – he can’t drink at all;
- when symptoms of inflammatory diseases of the stomach and intestines.
Effects of alcohol on the gastro-intestinal tract
Alcohol rapidly penetrates the mucosa, has a pronounced toxic effect on her and quickly gets into blood and other organs. the regular use of alcohol destroys the cell wall of the vessels supplying the stomach.
What is the danger of devascularization of the stomach:
- deteriorating trophic (feeding) mucosa;
- the thickness of the mucus layer is reduced, degraded the process of digestion;
- gastric juice destroys the weakened area of the inner surface of the body;
- formed a stomach ulcer.
In fact, everything happens faster, because mucous already provoked by alcohol, and then there’s the blood supply was cut off.
It was at this point and there are cutting pains after taking even small doses of alcohol in humans, already provoked by the stomach acid begins to break “poisoned” portion of the mucosa. Stomach Pain can be permanent if a person takes alcohol frequent small doses.
In addition to the mucous acid is burned, it ceases to perform its secretory functions, there is little mucus, which accelerates the process of destruction. The walls become thinner, atrophic gastritis develops. After some time is terminated and the synthesis of acid. This leads to digestive problems, typical for alcoholics.
Deformation of the salivary glands
Digestive tract begins with the oral cavity. When atrophic changes in the stomach salivary gland compensatory increase. This way the body tries to compensate for the lack of gastric secretion. This forms the “hamster cheeks” have a drink.
Burns the lining of the esophagus, reflux esophagitis
The esophagus suffers directly from the burn of the alcohol, and reverse acid content of the stomach into the esophagus. This phenomenon is called gastro-esophagial reflux (or just reflux). This happens because the valve between the stomach and the esophagus relaxes under the influence of ethanol and Smoking (combined effect is stronger).
As a result there is severe pain, a burning sensation behind the breastbone. This condition is aggravated by the high weight and large portions of food because the pressure on the valve depends on the fullness of the stomach and intra-abdominal pressure.
Fairly quickly formed a chronic esophagitis and GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). After that even small doses of any provoking foods or liquids cause intense aching pain behind the breastbone
It Should be noted that when trying to heal the defects of the mucous, any episode of alcoholic breakdown completely negates all the previous efforts. Restores the mucosa in such cases is bad, prevent it from regenerating is pretty easy. All contraindications in the instructions of the medicines act.
Alcoholic gastritis of the stomach
- developing nausea and uncontrollable vomiting. Sometimes in severe cases the mucosa is vomiting blood.
- after vomiting there is a bitter bile taste in the mouth;
- there are severe pain in the epigastrium (upper abdomen);
- tongue swells up and my throat lays – this is swelling of the mucous membrane of the digestive tract;
- the face of the “victim” pale, quickens the pulse, may decrease blood pressure.
Attempts to stop the pain anti-inflammatory drugs can quickly lead to the aggravation of the process, since the group of NSAIDs (diclofenac, nimesulide, etc.) further worsens the synthesis of the mucus of the stomach (provokes disease).
After the first attack of alcohol-induced gastritis, should stop to drink alcohol.
Symptoms of chronic alcoholic gastritis
Present all the time, the intensity is dependent on food intake, alcohol, Smoking and stage of the disease.
- heaviness in the stomach and pain in upper abdominal (epigastric) region;
- constant heartburn combined with nausea. Even after vomiting these symptoms persist;
- constipation or diarrhea. Violations of the chair related to defects of fermentation (mucosa atrophied), and the death of normal intestinal flora;
- loss of appetite, constant feeling of thirst;
- loss is weight. This is due to malabsorption of nutrients, irregular eating and General intoxication.
Liver Disease alcohol
Alcoholism observed depletion of the enzyme systems responsible for the breakdown of alcohol in the liver. Deficiency of alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) has various consequences:
- reduced dose of alcohol because the drinker is now “cut” a relatively small amount of alcohol;
- increases the frequency of “drinking”, because the dependence of forces constantly to maintain a certain concentration of ethanol in the blood;
- progress all the inflammation of mucous membranes as an irritant now operates continuously.
Parenchymal tissue of the liver begins to degrade after that with much greater speed. Frequent episodes of acute alcoholic hepatitis, then cirrhosis of the liver. This usually leads the alcoholic to death. Of the toxic processes in the body often develop liver cancer.
Symptoms of hepatitis is the gravity, and then and pain in the right upper quadrant.
Gallbladder from alcoholism suffers less. Slightly increases the probability of developing biliary dyskinesia, and the risk of stone formation in the gallbladder. Rocks are formed through the use of sweet wines and liquors.
Alcohol and pancreas
Accompanied by the constant diarrhea, the stool has a characteristic smell. Pancreas – “military warehouse” for the digestive system. It is synthesized and stored a huge number of enzymes. In alcohol-induced of the following may occur:
- developed acute or chronic pancreatitis. Inflammation in this organ can lead in fact to the pancreas. The process is accompanied by excruciating pain and often leads to the death of the patient;
- with the defeat of islet cells starts diabetes type 1 diabetes, i.e. insulin dependent. The disease in combination with alcohol leads to a complete fiasco, as the vessels from fluctuations in the level of insulin and sugars quickly come into disrepair.
An attack of pancreatitis are treated in hospital. In some cases use surgical methods of treatment – so you can save a large part of the body, not allowing him to self-destruct. Is resection of the inflamed lobe. To abandon this manipulation can be dangerous.
Effect of alcohol on the intestine
Alcoholism leads to significant defects in defecation – often phrased permanent diarrhea. In addition, often upset the balance of acid and alkaline component, as well as the fluid in the terminal intestine which leads to constipation. Constipation can be so hard that they form fecal stones. In severe cases, the problem is solved surgically.
So, excessive alcohol consumption rather predictable destroys the esophagus, stomach, pancreas, liver and disrupts the intestine.
If we compare these conditions with beneficial effects characteristic of alcoholic drinks, you can draw your own conclusions about the use of alcohol. the effect of alcohol on the gastrointestinal tract evident, and this cannot be disregarded.
In all pathologies of the gastrointestinal tract, occurred on the background of or after consuming alcoholic beverages, you should immediately consult a gastroenterologist for advice. The implementation of the recommendations of the doctor will save you and your family from this trouble.