Heartburn in pregnancy – is a feeling of warmth or burning sensation in the lower chest or epigastric region, caused by throwing gastric contents into the lower esophagus and irritation of its mucosa.
Complaints of heartburn have more than half of pregnant women (80%), and often heartburn bothers women in the second half of pregnancy, happens after a meal, lasts from several minutes to several hours, repeated several times a day.
Causes of heartburn in pregnant women
At the initial stages of pregnancy, heartburn is caused by hormonal changes in a woman’s body. The esophagus and the stomach is divided by a sphincter that doesn’t give back the food back. During pregnancy increased levels of the hormone progesterone, which relaxes all the smooth muscles in the body, including the sphincter. It is believed that heartburn can be a symptom of early pregnancy toxemia, and she usually goes to 13-14 weeks.
At a later time heartburn is caused by the fact that increasing in size of the uterus puts pressure on the stomach, flattening and raising it, “helping” the release of stomach contents into the esophagus. All these discomfort and heartburn no harm to the mother and child often do not cause and pass without a trace along with pregnancy.
Causes of heartburn during pregnancy:
• taking medications – antispasmodics, which further relaxes the muscles of internal organs. About all the medicines you take, tell your doctor.
• wearing tight clothes can cause heartburn. Try less lean, better to just squat. After eating at least half an hour do not go.
• eating foods that increase the release of acid into the stomach, such as coffee, sodas, spicy food, spices, sour vegetables, fruits and berries, dairy products (except cheese)
• too dense dinner before going to sleep
Treatment heartburn in pregnant women
Cure heartburn in pregnancy can be prescribed only by a doctor because the all medicines for heartburn when used incorrectly can cause increased acidity of gastric juice. However, there are people (not medical) ways to fight heartburn.
• The most important folk remedy for the treatment of heartburn in pregnancy is a normal diet. Do not eat a lot, don’t eat fried, heavy and spicy foods – eat vegetables and cereals in small quantities.
• Go to split meals, you need to eat small portions 5-6 times a day, last meal 3 hours before bedtime.
• Drink throughout the day milk in small portions, you can add natural essential oil of fennel.
• If heartburn has already started, try to eat oat flakes, forest, or almonds, grated carrots.
• It is better to sleep on your back.
• Avoid stress.
• You can try to drink jelly or fresh potato juice.
Safe medicines for heartburn
During pregnancy you can use the so-called antacids. These medications are composed of magnesium and aluminum. They neutralize the acid which enters into the composition of the gastric juice, forming protective layer on the stomach wall, increase the tone of the lower sphincter of the esophagus. Nowadays the most commonly used Maalox, Almagel, Rennie, Gaviscon.
A side effect of some antacids is the occurrence of constipation (due to salts of calcium or aluminum), and magnesium, in contrast, has a laxative effect. Therefore, long-term use of these drugs is not worth it. Taking antacids, you should take into account that they may absorb other medicines. So between taking antacids and other drugs will take some time.