Heartburn is a burning sensation in the chest area, which may be accompanied by nausea, flatulence, belching, bitter or sour taste in the mouth and throat.
Often heartburn happens after a heavy meal and lying down. Sometimes heartburn can mimic other problems, such as heart pain. Heartburn can be a symptom of gastroesophageal reflux disease.
Causes of heartburn
Sour stomach contents, which falls into the esophagus for the following reasons:
- overeating and unhealthy habits, such as eating on the go, inadequate chewing of food, drinking chocolate, fatty, spicy sweet food;
- excessive weight;
- abuse of citrus fruits, tomatoes, chocolate and mint;
- hot and spicy food;
- excessive amounts of onions in the diet;
- use of alcohol, carbonated drinks, coffee;
- certain medications (e.g. aspirin, ibuprofen or naproxen);
- too tight clothes, pushing on the abdomen (jeans, belts);
- bending over or lifting weights after eating;
the weakening of the muscles that control the opening of the esophagus;
- hernia hiatal;
If a burning sensation in the upper abdomen, sometimes reaching to the esophagus and throat and worse when bending or lying down, belching sour, bitter or sour taste in your mouth you got the first time after the violation of the usual diet, it is possible to try to solve problems on their own. If such symptoms occur frequently or periodically repeated, if you have a chronic cough, or heartburn occurs in patients receiving drugs (especially drugs for asthma and heart disease, antidepressants, antihistamines, sedative or antispasmodic drugs, and women taking birth control pills should consult a doctor. Be sure to seek medical help, if heartburn is accompanied by a feeling of fatigue and loss of appetite.
Need emergency care, if heartburn is accompanied by dark or bloody defecation, bloody vomiting, chest pain or back pain or increasing pain with nausea, sweating or vomiting.
Cure of heartburn
If necessary, you can take drugs that reduce stomach acidity, and sold without a prescription. You should quit Smoking if you smoke.If you suffer from excessive weight, need to lose weight.
Contact your doctor if heartburn occurs frequently and a strong burning sensation.
Cure of heartburn in clinic
To determine the cause of symptoms and to exclude serious disease such as peptic ulcer or other problems of the digestive system. To prescribe the correct treatment and make recommendations on diet and regime. Assign endoscopy or ultrasound.
When you need to be hospitalized or to recommend surgical intervention in the paraesophageal hernia.
Prevention of heartburn
- eat slowly, slowly and chewing food thoroughly. Try to stick to a healthy diet, limit the amount of fatty, spicy and fried foods, as well as chocolate, alcohol, carbonated drinks and coffee. Immediately after eating do not go, do not bend and do not lift weights;
- keep track of your weight;
- do not smoke;
- avoid tight-fitting clothing that puts pressure on the abdominal cavity;
- try to avoid stress.