Hiccup is a non — specific dysfunction of external respiration, which occurs in a series of jerky convulsive contractions of the diaphragm and is manifested subjectively unpleasant short and intense respiratory movements. It sometimes occurs in healthy people without apparent reason and usually is a harmless, fast-ending phenomenon.
Causes of Hiccups
- The General cooling (especially at children of early age), especially under the influence of alcohol.
- When hyperextension of the stomach (overflow its food). According to experts, these involuntary muscle contractions may come from the esophagus. Swallowing and food getting stuck in esophagus provoke spasms in the place where the esophagus enters the stomach.
- In case of irritation of the phrenic nerve. The so-called “normal” hiccups is a manifestation of a nervous TIC. This occurs under the influence of the phrenic nerve, which, for unknown reasons, transfers excitation to the muscles of the diaphragm. The result is uncontrolled spasms.
Hiccups can also be a symptom of certain diseases, for example, in case of irritation of the diaphragm in the inflammatory process in the abdominal cavity. Sometimes it becomes long and painful. A hiccup occurs in certain diseases of the brain and spinal cord and can occur in myocardial infarction, infectious diseases and mental stimulation.
In cases of prolonged, persistent hiccups should contact the doctor who will establish the cause and prescribe treatment. With the development of renal failure may also experience continuous or periodic hiccups. It is a consequence of the development of an abscess or tumor in the chest, diaphragm or esophagus. Some people have hiccups arise in connection with causes of a psychological nature, it resembles the reaction with transient palsy of the soldiers who fear before a fight. In such cases hiccup is unconscious character and reflects the desire to avoid a very unpleasant events. Some individuals suffer hiccups in the postoperative period, which may be a reaction to painkillers.
What is the reason of this phenomenon? Despite significant advances in medicine over the years of its existence, has still not found a reliable treatment of these minor spasms that cause a person to wring obscene sounds, like a street drunkard.
How to get rid of hiccups – to cure
To get rid of hiccups, you need to stop spasms of the diaphragm and esophagus. You can do this either by distraction or by using breathing techniques. Usually this is enough.
When you have passes hiccup, you are making a great effort to make it disappear. You are focusing on your chest and deliberately strain the diaphragm. But, straining and trying to suppress the next expected bout of hiccups, you only complicate the situation. Below we suggest you a more proper techniques.
- Swallow a small amount of something bitter or sour. If you get anything unusual in the digestive system spasms usually are: try to suck a piece of lemon.
- Try to suppress them by reflex. Put your finger on your throat so as if you are going to vomit. In fact, however, is not necessary to bring your actions to a degree. This way you can interrupt the steady rhythm of the hiccups.
- Try to drown out the hiccups with water. If you drink a large glass of water small SIPS at a continuous pace, you can achieve a cessation of hiccups. This way, washed away leftover food from the lower part of the pharynx and possibly eliminated their irritating action on passing in this area the nerve.
- Drink the water in the inclined position of the body. Position type “upside down” suggests a completely new approach to the treatment of hiccups. Tilt the torso over the sink and start to drink water from a glass, pushed as far as possible from you.
- Use the sudden fright, for example, frighten the victim sudden hiccups cotton pressurized pack or a loud shout. It can immediately interrupt the spasm.
- Try the method with the thread. residents of the southern regions of Texas Hispanics are popular among the people of the interrupt hiccups with help of red string or strips of cloth. They tie around the child’s head in the forehead at the bridge. Perhaps the child directs the eye to the thread and therefore switches their attention. And this is precisely what is needed to stop the hiccups.
- “Sweeten the pill”. Sprinkle with a little granulated sugar on the back of your tongue and swallow it, you can mix a spoon of sugar in a small amount of beer and drink the mixture.
- Poderias tongue. the next time you will torment hiccups, open your mouth wider, take a language, slightly pull it and hold it for a few seconds. This method of treating hiccups preferred personal physician of President Kennedy.
- To Make a bet on the money — this is a favorite tool of some doctors, which, as they say, never failed in the case of ordinary hiccups. When somebody starts to hiccup, take the money, put them on the table and enclose with this man to a wager that he or she will not be able to hiccup in the next minute. This man will not be able to hiccup, other times, not losing a bet.
As soon as you stop trying to interrupt the hiccups comes into play a range of other muscles, and spasms disappear.
Medical examination load of crap you must pass in the following cases:
- if hiccups lasts more than an hour;
- if the bouts of hiccups occur several times a day or several days a week;
- if other than the hiccups, you have chest pain, heartburn or swallowing disorders.
If you very often hiccups or attacks it take a long time, your doctor may prescribe x-ray examination after ingestion of barium mixture in order to detect any obstructions in the esophagus. To eliminate hiccups, which is permanent and not tied to any mechanical obstruction in the esophagus, the doctor may prescribe certain medications depending on what is involved in your disorder.
An interesting fact is that Charles Osborne of Anton, Iowa, USA, started hiccupping in 1922. He led a normal life, was married twice and had 8 children, and hiccup stopped in 1990 (Guinness Book of records).