Night Myoclonus – a sharp simultaneous muscle twitching (similar to the electric shock) occurring during active contraction (positive myoclonus) or reduce the tone in postural muscle (negative myoclonus) during the period of absolute natural relaxation of the body. The phenomenon is localized to certain muscle groups, is generalized and applies to a single parcel. Most often, the affected hands, feet, the muscles of the face and shoulder apparatus. Wince may be synchronous, asynchronous, rhythmic, spontaneous, reflex, irregular character.
Myoclonus concerned about both adults and kids. If myoclonus occurs in the first few seconds after falling asleep, it is the norm. If wince was escorted throughout the entire period, then it is a pathological condition which often leads to insomnia and, as a consequence, poor health, more serious issues.
Causes of Children and Adults Myoclonus
There are several theories that explain why people flinch while falling asleep. Immersion in the person’s sleep is accompanied by a decrease in the frequency of heartbeat and respiration, a decrease in the activity of all body systems. For the brain it’s like a small death. And in order to check whether the host is alive”, it sends pulses to the motor structure. Complete muscle relaxation can be interpreted as a drop, so the wince is an attempt of the brain to Wake the person and warn him of the danger.
Also, scientists can determine hypnogogia seizures as a reaction to stress. For example, the students during the session sleep more interrupted, restless and often accompanied by twitching.
Or it may be a manifestation of restless leg syndrome. The person complains of a feeling of discomfort with the muscles of the calf (itching, burning, tingling, pain, pressing or bursting nature). While these feelings are more pronounced in the evening or at night. During sleep, often appear rhythmic movements of the lower limbs: they are stereotyped, repetitive; often accompanied by bending or pinch the feet or movement of the entire foot. Sometimes the condition progresses and goes to upper limbs.
When malnutrition muscle may cause seizures. This compensatory mechanism is intended to increase the blood flow to a certain area, which improves blood supply and eliminates the cause of the “starvation”.
Types of Myoclonus
1. Physiological. is Characterized by a wince at the sharp sound, the fright during the sudden touch, with hiccups, fatigue, intense physical exertion. Are benign infant myoclonus that occurs during feeding.
2. Pathological. Develops in any pathological factors:
- seizures during epilepsy;
- spinal cord injury;
- respiratory arrest (especially snorers). The brain senses the cessation of the oxygen supply and leads to a reduction in all the muscles, to awake;
- the syndrome of periodic leg movements of Ekbom – sharp podragivanija the lower limbs, leading to awakening. This phenomenon may occur in the transition from one sleep phase to another, carrying a compensatory nature;
- the syndrome of Lennox-Gasto (observed in children of preschool age);
- infantile spasms – seizures that occur in children;
- so-called pathology of accumulation;
- genetic pathology generatively orientation of the brain stem, cerebellum, spinal cord;
- encephalitis: viral, metabolic, toxic;
- focal lesions of the Central nervous system (tumor, stroke, neurosurgical intervention);
- opsoclonus syndrome of dancing eyes;
- multiple pair-myoclonus Friedreich’s;
- degenerative dementia: Alzheimer’s, Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease.
Causes and treatment of wince in a dream
The reason physiological myoclonus may be a conflict between muscular tone and complete relaxation of the body. When we are asleep, our body fully relaxes, but the brain perceives it as a drop, or even death (the man in dreams falling temperature, blood pressure, breathing slows down) and abruptly sends a strong signal that reduces the muscles and lead to unpleasant wince to check if alive “host”. Short myoclonus are considered to be normal structure of sleep, did not lead to changes on the EEG, do not provide for consultation of a neurologist.
Often we see a small child shivers, moves his arms and legs, mumbles, smiling in her sleep. It is also physiological myoclonus. This phenomenon suggests that the baby is at the peak of the transition from one resting phase to another. In children this phenomenon is commonly observed because children’s sleep is different from the adult. For example, a formed human deep phase lasts 2-3 hours and the baby only 1 hour. Then the dream alternated alternately with the surface. Twitching of the kid suggests that he has not yet entered into a long phase and in the surface layers of your consciousness. It is not recommended at this moment to disturb him or Wake.
If you notice such mild symptoms at yourself or your child, you should analyze what can be the cause. The way out will be to ensure a more peaceful time before falling asleep and throughout the night:
- warm relaxing bath with a decoction of soothing herbs, pine needles, sea salt, etc.;
- turn on the night light with diffuse, soft light;
- to ensure a comfortable temperature in the bedroom (18-21 °C);
- a lifestyle change, day mode, etc.
Causes of pathological mioclonia not so harmless. At the appearance of disturbing symptoms you should immediately make an appointment to see the doctor-the neuropathologist, which is sure differencial each type of myoclonus with clinical data and other studies, will assign the correct, effective treatment.