Neurosonography or ultrasound of the brain is a method of research the child’s brain using ultrasound, to identify changes and developmental defects in the brain.
Neurosonography is safe, has no side effects and contraindications, and a convenient method of research as it does not require special preparation, anesthesia and can be performed toddler even while you sleep! But the stillness of the little patients neurosonography does not require, and therefore equally effectively used movable in healthy children and in the intensive care unit.
Ultrasound is harmless, and the child is not receiving radiation exposure, and therefore the study can be performed an unlimited number of times.
The advantage of this method is the time of the survey – only ten to fifteen minutes!
All children under one year is recommended to spend at least one neurosonography in order to exclude the possible pathology of the brain, and changes, which can manifest itself only after a year, as some malformations of the brain. It was during the first year of life, doctors are able to prevent the consequences that may arise in connection with malfunctions in the brain.
Neurosonography (ultrasound of the head) must designate:
- All newborns to one year or
- Prematurity, low birth weight at birth, or Vice versa, large newborn
- With the unusual shape of the head or facial structure
- If you suspect the presence of intrauterine infection
- With signs of brain lesions
- Requiring resuscitation and intensive therapy
- Suffered a lack of oxygen during fetal development or birth
- With birth trauma, after a difficult birth
- With the presence of symptoms for neurological disorders (seizures, weakness in the extremities, delayed psychomotor development, respiratory disorders, etc.)
- With malformations of other organs and systems
Neurosonography is usually performed through a large, open fontanel in the skull, at least – through the lateral fontanelles or foramen Magnum. Fontanelle is a non-ossified part of the head in the parietal cortex, which is highly transparent to ultrasound and allows to study the structure of the brain. Saved it to a year, that’s why neurosonography – this study especially for newborns and infants.
Neurosonography in children reveals:
- -hemorrhages of various kinds in the brain
- -brain lesions as a result of oxygen starvation
- -malformations of the brain
- -infectious lesions of the brain
- -tumors and cysts of the brain
- -the expansion of the ventricles of the brain
- -dropsy of the brain of varying severity
- -inflammatory processes in the brain
- -ischemia of the brain